PICO gulf coast and children

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 18 17:20:52 CST 2005

From: "PICO National Network" <gwhitman at piconetwork.org>

The Gulf Coast won a small but important victory yesterday when
President Bush agreed under intense pressure to provide an
additional $3.1 billion to begin building stronger levees to
protect New Orleans.

BUT before Christmas it is critical that the President and
Congress also approve funding to help families without adequate
flood insurance rebuild their homes. Without this federal aid
New Orleans and other Gulf Coast communities will die a slow
death and many of the 270,000 families whose homes were
destroyed will lose everything they owned.

Yesterday PICO federations around the country held events in the
U.S. Capitol and at the local district offices of 60 members of
Congress to remind Washington that time is running out for Gulf
Coast residents and to press for action on levee and housing
funding before Christmas recess. This was the third time that
PICO leaders came to Washington this fall as part of a
coordinated nation-wide effort to press the President and
Congress to meet commitments to New Orleans and the region.

While the initial funding to strengthen the levees protecting
New Orleans is a welcome step, PICO joins with other in the Gulf
Coast in urging members of Congress to support a bipartisan plan
to use oil and gas drilling proceeds to create a long-term
funding stream for coastal restoration and hurricane protection.

PICO LIFT (Louisiana Interfaiths Together) and its six PICO
federations and 100 faith communities have asked for help from
across the country because members of Congress from outside the
region have influence over key federal decisions that will shape
life in the Gulf Coast for decades to come. We encourage you to
continue to write to your members of Congress with the message:
ACT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Visit
http://ga3.org/campaign/rebuildlouisiana/w35dkuxrz5bjkwx? to
send a personal e-mail.

UPDATE ON CHILDREN'S HEALTH: Negotiations in Congress are likely
to continue over the weekend and possibly into next week over
both Gulf Coast rebuilding and Medicaid. There is still hope
that Congress will adopt the Senate approach, which spares
children and families from harm. Visit
http://ga3.org/campaign/housemedicaidvote/w35dkuxrz5bjkwx? to send a
message on children's
health. Visit http://ga3.org/ct/A7_svVd1jzfc/ to see a copy of
the report PICO issued yesterday with the Georgetown Center on
Children and Families.

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.

http://ga3.org/join-forward.html?domain=PICO&r=k1_svVd1wRrF

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for
PICO National Network at:

http://ga3.org/PICO/join.html?r=k1_svVd1wRrFE