national organizing challenges

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 15 21:40:23 CST 2005

[ed: the message below, which illustrates some of the challenges of
going beyond the local, is reposted with permission. Discussion is
welcomed.]

From: Larry Yates <lamaryates at igc.org>

I share this with comm-org folk not to take sides, but to share a
fascinating inside look at a major organizing problem -- building
national coalitions and relationships. Whatever your opinion about the
war or the anti-war movement, surely all organizers hope that ultimately
our work wil lead us to making decisions at the national level.

Larry Yates
=====================

Ending the War in Iraq, Building a Broad Movement for Peace and Justice,
And Our Experience with A.N.S.W.E.R.

 From the Steering Committee, United for Peace and Justice
December 12, 2005

United for Peace and Justice aims to build the broadest, most diverse
movement for an immediate and complete end to the U.S. occupation of
Iraq. We see this as our immediate priority in the long-term effort to
build a durable peace and justice movement that connects domestic and
international issues. We are committed to working in a way that makes it
possible for the widest array of people to come together around common
aims, including communities of color, military families, Iraq war
veterans and other veterans, the labor movement, youth, religious
community, the women’s and lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender movements,
professional organizations and community groups.

As our coalition moves forward, we try to evaluate our experiences in
order to strengthen our efforts and overcome our shortcomings. In recent
months, a difficult and controversial aspect of our work has been our
engagement with International A.N.S.W.E.R in co-sponsoring the September
24, 2005 Washington, D.C. Rally and March. Following this experience,
and after thorough discussion, the national steering committee of United
for Peace and Justice has decided not to coordinate work with ANSWER
again on a national level. Here we want to share with all UFPJ member
groups our summary of this experience and the decisions we have made as
a result.

In spring 2005, based on previous experiences, UFPJ did not believe it
would be productive to make coordination with ANSWER a centerpiece of
our September 24 efforts. (See memo dated May 23rd – click here:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2853). We had a particular
vision for this specific action:

(1) its central demands would hone in on ending the war in Iraq, thus
sending a focused message to the U.S. public and providing an entryway
into the antiwar movement for the expanding number of people prepared to
turn out for a protest demonstration; and
(2) the connections between the Iraq war and Washington’s overall empire
building, the U.S. support of the illegal occupation of Palestinian
land, racism, repression and injustice at home would be articulated in
accessible and creative ways, not only via rally speakers, but also at
an interactive two day peace and justice festival, and throughout a 12
hour concert.

We did not believe ANSWER shared this perspective on the September 24
activities. Therefore we decided that working with them would hinder
rather than help in maximizing the breadth and impact of such a
demonstration at an urgent political moment.

As September 24 came closer and some circumstances changed, we changed
our perspective. Regarding the weekend in general, the spotlight
Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath put on racism and class inequities led us
to highlight the demand for Funding Full and Just Recovery in the Gulf
Coast. Regarding our relations with ANSWER, our concerns grew about the
potential confusion of having two totally separate demonstrations in the
same city on the same day. We seriously considered the thoughtful
concerns expressed by some anti-war groups and activists that an
agreement for a joint UFPJ-ANSWER action needed to be worked out. As a
result, after much reflection and without unanimity among us, we
reversed our earlier decision. With the help of mediation by U.S. Labor
Against the War, we worked out an agreement with ANSWER for joint
sponsorship of the September 24 Rally and March (but not other weekend
activities). (See the text of the agreement, click here:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3161).

There were two positive results of this agreement. First, we avoided the
problem of two completely separate demonstrations in Washington, DC on
September 24. Second, the rancorous public dispute over the whos, hows
and whys of September 24 was largely ended for the important period
immediately preceding the action.

But there were many negative results as well.

First, ANSWER violated the terms of our agreement in ways that
substantially and negatively impacted September 24’s message and impact:

(1) ANSWER did not honor the agreed-upon time limits for its sections of
the pre-march Rally, going more than an hour over in one section. The
time was to be evenly divided in 30 minutes segments alternating between
the two coalitions. Besides the impact in terms of disrespect to other
speakers and the attendees in Washington, DC, this meant that the C-SPAN
broadcast of the rally presented a one-sided picture of the antiwar
movement to the U.S. public. In the extended ANSWER section broadcast on
C-SPAN, there was in fact very little focus on, or explanation of, the
central demand motivating hundreds of thousands of people to attend the
demonstration: U.S. Out of Iraq Now.

(2) ANSWER delayed the start of the March for an hour past the agreed
upon time. We learned that morning that while our agreement with ANSWER
was to begin the march at 12:30, the permit ANSWER had negotiated with
the police had the march starting at 1:30. This led to confusion, which
in turn prevented the agreed-upon lead contingent carrying the
agreed-upon lead banner (“End the War in Iraq, Bring the Troops Home
Now, Justice for Hurricane Victims”) from actually leading the March.
This diluted the March’s message – especially in terms of media images
of the March’s front rank. It also jeopardized relationships between
UFPJ and the representatives of several organizations whom we asked be
part of the lead contingent of the March. An antiwar movement still not
as strong as we need to be when compared to the tasks before us, in
which developing relationships of mutual trust and accountability is of
vital importance, can ill afford such short-sighted and narrow-minded
practice.

(3) ANSWER did not turn out many volunteers to provide for fundraising,
security and media operations for the March and Rally. UFPJ was also
short of volunteers, but the much smaller numbers from ANSWER meant that
many of the practical burdens of attending to the needs of the crowd
fell on UFPJ, while ANSWER concentrated its attention on extending the
time their speakers were on the stage.

In our view, it was because we had insisted (against ANSWER’s
objections) that the terms of our agreement be made public; and through
the costly expenditure of time and energy to deal with one issue after
another in the weeks just before September 24, that additional problems
were avoided. However, the interactions required to accomplish this were
tremendously difficult and stressful, taking a major human toll on the
UFPJ representatives participating in meetings with ANSWER. UFPJ has
made our share of mistakes and no doubt some of us may have made
intemperate and inappropriate remarks in the heat of political
difficulty. We also see that while our agreement with ANSWER did not
require us to do so, the fact that we did not inform them about the
plans to include speakers during the late afternoon/evening concert
might have contributed to the tension. But the souring of the political
atmosphere is largely due to ANSWER, which, in our experience,
consistently substitutes labels (“racist”, “anti-unity”) and
mischaracterization of others’ views for substantive political debate or
problem solving – both in written polemics and direct face-to-face
interactions.

Beyond all this, the priority given to negotiating and then trying to
carry out an agreement with ANSWER hurt rather than helped galvanize the
participation of many other groups and individuals in the September 24
activities. In part this is simply a question of where time and
resources were directed. But it also stems from the bridges ANSWER has
burned over the years with other broader forces in the progressive
movement. Many longtime antiwar and social movement activists – and many
groups only recently embracing mass action against the war - have had
the same kind of negative experiences with ANSWER that we did in the
run-up to, and on September 24. Some people, and some UFPJ member
groups, believe this stems from ANSWER’s political and strategic
perspectives. Others attribute the problems to what is often called
style of work, or to issues about democracy, decision making and
control. Whatever the case on this level, co-sponsorship with ANSWER on
September 24 was welcomed by some in the antiwar movement but limited or
prevented completely the participation of others.

This is not surprising: “unity in the movement” doesn’t happen in the
abstract. Especially when up-close coordination is involved, unity takes
place between specifics groups and individuals, and choices to work in
close cooperation with certain groups with certain approaches
simultaneously means choosing not to work in the same fashion with other
groups. Of course we all dream of a situation where everyone gets
together as one cooperative movement family. But we still must deal with
politics as they are, not as we wish them to be. Sometimes it is
necessary for groups with extremely bitter relations to cooperate for a
common aim. But there are many circumstances when effective movement
building and the long-range process of developing unity is better served
by different groups pursuing different courses, until conditions change
or the groups themselves evolve and transform.

In terms of UFPJ’s relationship with ANSWER, our national steering
committee has concluded that the latter path is best for the foreseeable
future. We did not have consensus. But by a more than two thirds
supermajority we voted on December 4 not to coordinate work with ANSWER
again on a national level. We simultaneously recognized that other
settings and situations may be different. We make no recommendations or
mandates on this issue to UFPJ member groups in local or
constituency-based areas, who will continue to decide whether and/or how
much to coordinate efforts with ANSWER based on their own experiences,
conditions and judgments.

The tasks in front of the anti-Iraq war movement and all of us who are
struggling for peace and justice are immense. Yet this is a moment of
great opportunity, as popular anger at Bush’s wars against people abroad
and at home grows, and as an expanding number of organizations – many
with massive constituencies among poor, working and oppressed peoples –
are willing to consider taking up aggressive protest mobilizations.
United for Peace and Justice will redouble our efforts to push forward
the antiwar movement and to bring the broadest and most diverse array of
people and groups into the struggle for peace and justice.

Post: UFPJ at lists.mayfirst.org
Larry Yates
VOP Valley Organizer
P.O. Box 245
Maurertown VA 22644
540 436 3432
llyates at shentel.net
www.virginia-organizing.org

"Some people are allowed a chance over and over again; then there are
others who are allowed little chance, some no chance at all."

from the final letter of Virginia sharecropper Odell Waller before his
unjust execution, July 3, 1942