New COMM-ORG paper: A Collective Recruitment Plan is Needed for Community Organizers

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 14 09:28:14 CST 2005

[ed:  thanks to Benjamin for initiating discussion on Joe's paper.]

From: Benjamin Shepard <benshepard at mindspring.com>

Great paper...

its tough.  for years, i've heard critiques of the calls for
"professionals" to become organizers.
few of these succeed seem to come from a "professional" perspective.
rather, these are grassroots people already involved in campaigns, who
get involved and hired.
when hired the work becomes all consuming.
in all too many other cases, all volunteer organizations, doing the
vital work, wear thin at the seems.

the question remains, can you have a life and be an organizer?