query: foundations in community development

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Nov 30 10:28:47 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Peter for responding to James' query.]

From: "Peter Dreier" <dreier at oxy.edu>

For several years in the late 1980s and early 1990s, a group of the largest
foundations created the Council for Community-Based Development to quantify
and evaluate the role of foundations in community development. It issued
several annual reports called "Expanding Horizons." This group was
discontinued in the early 1990s. I don't think any other report has followed
up on this in terms of looking at who funds community development, although
the Urban Institute's report, Community Development in the 1990s (by Chris
Walker). which was available on-line, may have some data. I don't think that
the Neighborhood Funders Group, an affinity group of program officers, has
done such an analysis. The National Congress for Community Economic
Development may still have copies of these reports. NCCED has done its own
reports on the status of CDCs, although has focused on the magnitude of
housing and job creation, not the role of funders. I drew on the "Expanding
Horizons" reports in article, "Philanthropy and the Housing Crisis,"
published in Housing Policy Debate:
http://www.fanniemaefoundation.org/programs/hpd/pdf/hpd_0801_dreier.pdf
Peter Dreier
Dr. E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics
Director, Urban & Environmental Policy Program
Occidental College
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
Phone: (323) 259-2913