anti-gay organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Nov 21 20:31:13 CST 2004

[ed:  this is related to our discussion of where organizing should go.
Here is some more information to fuel the discussion.]

From: Amy Hubbard <ahubbarddc at yahoo.com>

Hi everyone,

I don't know how many of you get home delivery of the Washington Post
but if you do you may have noticed this morning that there was included
in it an advertising supplement from Grace Christian Church that was
fashioned to look like a magazine.  The basic theme was that gays don't
deserve equal rights like heterosexuals because they choose to be gay
and that the "behavioral rights" movement shouldn't be likened to the
civil rights movement because blacks don't choose to be black.

I called the Manager of Corporate Advertising this morning and left a
message.  His name is Marc Rosenburg at 202-334-7634.  I also left a
message for Tracy McKeever at 202-334-6947.  Then I called Michael
Getler the Post Ombudsman and left a message for him.  (got him through
the switchboard at 202-334-6000)

I left messages asking if the Post would be willing to take money from
people arguing that interracial marriage shouldn't be protected because
after all people can choose to love someone else.  Would the Post be
willing to take money from Christians arguing that Jews should all
convert to Christianity because after all religion is a choice and Jews
in American never suffered as much as blacks did?  The Post needs to
draw the line at accepting money from advertisers who threaten the
rights of all Americans.

Please let other people know about this and encourage them to complain
to the Post.

MORE RANTING BELOW

Those of you who know me and are forced to listen to me rant and rave
about this (poor Mark) know that I think it is important to argue for
gay rights by raising civil rights issues that are about making a choice
so I prefer to raise the issue of interracial marriage, rather than
black civil rights.  (When Mr. and Mrs. Loving were arrested for their
interracial marriage in Virginia in the 60s, I'm sure there were
Christian churches pointing to the bible and saying that god thought
interracial was unnatural.)  You also know that I think white racism
against blacks is one of the major issues of our time.  We have to
loudly condemn both racism and heterosexism.

Also some of you may not know that there are people who are seeking to
put a "defense of marriage" (sic) referendum on the ballot in DC.  Be
prepared for this to be a big controversy in a city where conservative
black churches have a lot of power.  Better sharpen those arguments now.

okay, rant over
Amy