Paid community organizing training

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Nov 19 20:03:13 CST 2004

From: ben at thedartcenter.org

I am a community organizer with a national network of community
organizing groups
known as the Direct Action & Research Training (DART) Network that seeks
to build
power among low-moderate income people for a greater degree of justice.

I am writing to you today because we are seeking applications from folks
interested
in social and economic justice in Ohio to apply for our paid community
organizing
training program known as the DART Organizers Institute. I would
appreciate it
if you could pass along information below regarding our positions by
email or
word of mouth to anyone that may be interesed in launching a career in
community
organizing..

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Ben MacConnell
ben at thedartcenter.org
Recruitment Director
Direct Action & Research Training Center
314 NE 17th Terrace
Miami, Florida 331307
Ph: (785) 841-2680
www.thedartcenter.org

**************************

Wanted: Community Organizer Trainees seeking to launch a Career in
Community
Organizing

DART is now accepting applications for the 2005 DART Organizers
Institute in
several cities through Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Virginia, Kentucky, and
Indiana.
This program is designed to give people the skills in grassroots
organizing to
launch a permanent career in the field.

The DART Organizers Institute is a combined classroom and field training
covering
such topics as:

· Entering a community
· Identifying and training local leaders
· Strategic planning and issue cutting
· Relationship and community building
· Direct Action on community issues
· Fundraising

The DART Center, has built coalitions throughout the country that have
won important
victories on a broad set of justice issues including:

· Education reform in low-performing public schools
· Job Training
· Drugs and Violence
· Affordable Housing
· Criminal Recidivism
· Youth Services
· Neighborhood Revitalization, etc.

The DART Organizers Institute combines a 7-day classroom orientation
with 15
weeks of infield training at a DART host organization. This is a paid
training
program that includes: a $6,500 living stipend, all transportation costs
to the
classroom orientation and host city, and mileage reimbursement during
the infield
training. Room, board, and tuition will also be paid by DART during the
7-day
classroom training. After successful completion of the program, DART
will work
to place graduates into fulltime salaried positions.

Graduates from the four month DART Organizers Institute have gone onto
accept
Executive Director and Associate Community Organizing positions
throughout the
country. We continue to train the best of those working to build the
power of
low-moderate income communities to win victories on important issues in
their
community.

The program starts June 20, 2005 and runs through October 7, 2005. Host
organizations
are located in several cities throughout Florida, Ohio, Michigan,
Virginia, Kentucky,
and Indiana. Applications are being accepted now.

Although it may be helpful, no direct experience is necessary. Organizer
Trainees
(OTs) hired to participate in the DART Organizers Institute must
demonstrate
a desire to pursue community organizing as a long-term professional
career. A
master’s degree or similar life experience is preferred though
unnecessary. Candidates
must have a college degree or be graduating prior to June 20, 2005.
Also, candidates
must display a workmanlike diligence, be driven to produce sustained
results,
have proven capacity to build relationships of trust, create and execute
a plan,
act professionally, feel comfortable working with congregations, be
accountable
and willing to hold others accountable, demonstrate disciplined thought
and action,
and work in a team setting. OTs must also have access to a car during
their training
and be flexible regarding relocation. Fluency in Spanish/English is a
plus and
people of color are encouraged to apply.

To find out more about DART or to apply, we encourage you to send your
resume
to: Ben MacConnell, DART Network, 820 New York Street, Lawrence, KS
66044 or
by email: institute at thedartcenter.org. If you have any questions, please
call:
(785) 841-2680. Also, you can download applications or view profiles
from previous
OTs at the DART website: www.thedartcenter.org.