successful minimum wage campaign

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Nov 5 18:53:19 CST 2004

[ed:  here are some followups on the Florida minimum wage campaign from
Kathleen and Doug.]

From: "Kathleen de la Peña McCook" <kmccook at tampabay.rr.com>

But of course the republicans, chamber of commerce people are filing a
lawsuit today to fight it....Wage hike may end up in court A business
group may challenge the validity of the amendment raising the minimum
wage by $1.
 [ed:  Kathleen included a copyrighted article that can be possibly be
accessed at
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/730264451.html?MAC=0193be8b9043b7138662522ab48a8237&did=730264451&FMT=FT&FMTS=FT&date=Nov+4%2C+2004&author=SCOTT+BARANCIK&printformat=&desc=Wage+hike+may+end+up+in+court+Series%3A+ELECTION+2004
or by going to the St. Petersburg Times home page
(http://www.sptimes.com/) and doing a search on "Wage hike may end up in
court, Scott Barancik).

*******************

From: DougRHess at aol.com

In agreement with Peter, but to be even more explict, I think that  the
lesson we need to ensure funders hear about the summer/fall GOTV and voter
registration work is that it needs to be part ongoing support for
organizing.
Funding voter mobilizing (which is not organizing) just during the
summer makes  the
poor out to be little more than extras from "casting call" in politics. If
the poor are to be given any credit, they realize it's not sincerely about
them and will, naturally, remain hard to turnout. In short: What's
happened so
far is not organizing. What's still needed involves more  organizing.

Doug  Hess
School of Public Policy & Public Administration,
George  Washington University

Home address:
2114 N St., NW Apt.  23
Washington, DC 20037