the failure of organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Nov 5 18:43:43 CST 2004

[ed:  Terri, Brian, Doug, Helen, Robert, and Peter continue the discussion.]

From:  tmcnichol at renassociates.com

Dear Randy,

Thanks for validating my heartsick feeling of the real messge
of this election--hatred. Last week after listening to a radio
broadcast of a 'religious rally,' I got the feeling as though
the South is taking revenge on the North in a gun-less, yet no
less ugly way.

I listened to a broadcast of a rally on the radio and because
I been following the election so closely I like to hear both
sides. This one proved more chilling than even my imagination
could ever begin to take me. On "Focus on the Family" a Dr.
Dobson was talking about Ted Kennedy sneakily pushing through
his Hate Crimes bill while the public was 'sleeping.' He then
went on to say that we are not dealing with hate crimes in
this country. The danger is that good pastors will be arrested
from their pulpits on the charge that their sermons based on
Romans or Leviticus. Now that is chilling. And the cheers he
elicited more so.

What disheartened me more than the outcome of the election was
that all eleven states had to continue the ban on gay
marriage, and that it was intolerance that sent the voters out
in droves--not America's lead in global efforts, not wars, not
even the economy.

Randy, I shared your post with the Appreciative Inquiy list
because I felt it so important and I did so without your
permission first. Sorry for taking such liberties and I hope
you don't mind. I also shared it with the chair of the
advisory board to the NJ Human Relations Council of which I am
a member.

This is a VERY important discussion you are calling for and
the work for the next election has to begin right now, just as
you said.

Thank you so much for your post.

Appreciatively,

Terri McNichol
Ren Associates
707 Alexander Road, Bldg. 2 Suite 208
Princeton NJ 08540
Telephone +1.609.371.5354
www.renassociates.com
t.mcnichol.1 at alumni.nyu.edu

*******************************

 From: "Brian A. Kane" <bak.ia.pico at frontiernet.net>

Randy,

A key principle of organizing is to start where people are at, not where you
think they should be.  Maybe gays should have the right to marry, but that
issue is divisive and no one could win this election with that on their
agenda.

Bush had huge weaknesses, that's why the election was so close.  Once again,
however, the Democrats failed to nominate someone who could really compete.
Kerry didn't provide a credible alternative to Bush on Iraq, for example,
and had no plausible leadership record.  No one could really say what he'd
be doing in a year, 'cause even he didn't know.  People were left
wondering - do we vote for a leader whose policies we aren't sure of, or do
we vote someone who has no real leadership credentials?

It's easy to blame faith-based and other organizing groups for this, but
that's just a lot of liberal BS.  Acorn and many other groups raised and
spent tens of millions on registering and mobilizing people.  I think it
would be worthwhile to figure out exactly what kind of turnout that
produced, but you can't take the focus away from a bad choice at the top.

Best,
Brian Kane

************************

From: DougRHess at aol.com

 A few thoughts on Randy's article.

1. In case it needs stating,  there is good research (as opposed to the lousy
kind that would get laughed out  of Stats 101 classes but Scalia still
references in his writings on gays)  showing that gays are all across the income
spectrum. Thus, it's not a  middle-class issue. Some racism in the gay community
and wrinkles in how  anti-gay politics play out in different parts of the
country or even different  parts of one city, however, leads to the issue being
portrayed as whiter, thus,  "middle-class" to some. (Of course, many middle
class people would be surprised  to learn that this is their issue!)

2. I was surprised by the large  percentage of people who voted against these
bans. As a gay man, I found it  heartening. (I also found it weird that they
passed medical marijauna but banned  gays. "Ok, kids. A little pot is ok, just
don't be gay.")

3. The largest  organizing effort in the country is still through the
religious institutions.  Republicans courted Catholics very carefully. They even had
a link on Bush's  campaign page just to go to Catholic issues. The Bishops
who've gone from  teaching "vote your conscience" to "let me tell you what your
conscience should  be in detail" really need a tongue lashing. Liberal
Catholics unite!  ;-)

4. Bush seemed in the exit polls (the corrected ones) to get a  slightly
higher percent of the black vote and a much higher percent of the  latino vote
this time around then last time. Amazingly, he still got 23% of the  GLBT vote!
(About four percent of the voters said they were GLBT, although many  gay
people may not self-identify on an exit poll, even anonymously.) Sad stuff.

5. However, we should keep in mind that people earning under  $100,000 still
voted for Kerry, albiet just barely, and those above voted for  Bush (in large
 numbers).

Less Than $100,000 (82% of voters)  Bush:49%   Kerry:  50%

$100,000 or More (18% of voters)   Bush:  58%    Kerry:  41%

6. I do agree that some "deeper" organizing needs to take place and hope
that the millions spent on the election will be redoubled and invested in
sustaining employment and training for organizers, and local leadership and
cultural/educational events.

A potential model for this is to look at some of the tools of social
marketing (sounds nasty but it's saved lots of lives). The kind of  education and
communication work that social marketing entails has helped  spread knowledge
about HIV, smoking, etc. One method that is sometimes used in  HIV prevention
envolves working with community leaders (informal leaders not  formal, see below)
or community members who held a place in society that made  them a central
node among the network of the population involved. These  people were trained
over the weekend in talking about HIV issues with  others in their community. In
the United States as well as in many developing  nations, this method was
used to target young men for safe sex  education by seeing barbers as community
leaders or central spots for  interacting with many young men. They were
trained in how to bring the issue up  and were given materials.

A study in one small city in the United States, I think it was in West
Virgnia, went to gay bars in the area and staff to identify patrons that they
thought were popular or somehow central to some social crowds (I think I'm
recalling this right). These people were then trained on the issue related above
and the evalution of the program showed some success.

The analogy to community organizing would be to find people who play some
kind of informal or secondary leadership roles and work on discussing politics
with them and how they can improve political discourse in their network.
People  don't need to be convinced that gay is this or that, they just need to see
that  these issues are manipulations by disengenous and hypocritical leaders
who  ignore what's really important.

Doug Hess
Ph.D. Student,
School of Public Policy & Public  Administration,
George Washington University

*************************

From: "Hartnett, Helen P" <helenh at ku.edu>

 I would also agree that hatred won. I also agree that new strategies
need to be considered. I appreciate everyone's comments and think about
Donna's ideas regarding the use of volunteers who may increase personal
contact and comfort as a means to think about refueling the fight for
social justice.

I believe that the idea of hate was also couched and viewed as the idea
of safety. Protection became the ideal, one which translated into
protection of personal economic status, personal minority status (who is
more oppressed), and personal religious beliefs. I think that all of
these ideas about protection of PERSONAL/INDIVIDUAL ideas prevented us
form seeing the social aspects of our lives and the ways in which
oppression operates systematically, like the "bird cage" as Marilyn Frye
states.

Until we can find ways to help us all see the connections in our lives
both locally and globally we will continue to split on these issues.
Thinking about public education campaigns and the ways to connect people
I think are a great beginning.

Helen P. Hartnett, PhD
School of Social Welfare-University of Kansas
785-864-1180
helenh at ku.edu

************************

 From: Robert Ogilvie <rogilvie at berkeley.edu>

 Donna has hit the nail on the head in my opinion.  Volunteers mobilized
people to get out and vote in this election and they were organized through
the institutions that attract a much, much larger following than any other
in the country - Churches.

The bad news is that the Republican party has a huge lead in church based
political organizing.  The good news is that there are many more
congregations and church goers who would consider themselves to be liberal
or moderate than conservative, and a huge amount of these churches have
masses of volunteers engaged in social service provision.  It is now
incumbent on Democratic organizers to build a larger base by incorporating
this population.  In my book - Volunatarism, Community Life and the
American Ethic I talk at length about how to build community through
voluntary service provision.  The next step - which I don't talk about - at
least not in that book - is to mobilize these people for the cause of
progressive social change.

RSO

**********************

From:
"Peter Dreier" <dreier at oxy.edu>

Comm-Org folks:

What happened on Tuesday? First, I recommend Harold Meyerson's column in
today's Washington Post
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26837-2004Nov4.html) and
Neal Peirce's syndicated column, pasted below. (It will appear in
various daily newspapers starting on Sunday). My own analysis in four
parts: who voted,the issues, the campaigns and the candidates, and next
steps for progressives.

The results from Tuesday are mostly bad, but there are silver linings
and lessons to be learned. Yes, as Randy says, it was a "failure of
organizing" in terms of mobilizing the liberal/progressive base compared
with how well the GOP and its allies mobilized the white, conservative,
evangelical base. But remember, they've been cultivating this group for
many years. It didn't happen overnight. In my Organizing class I use
parts of Ralph Reed's book, POLITICALLY INCORRECT: THE EMERGING FAITH
FACTOR IN AMERICAN POLITICS (1994), which recounts how the Christian
Coalition built itself up from nothing. Karl Rove did an incredible job
at building on this work, and did so under the radar screen of most
reporters and pundits.

1. Who voted and who stayed home? Last Tuesday, 59% of eligible voters
went to the polls. This is the highest overall turnout since 1968. But
it is dramatically lower than other democracies.  The 59% who voted are
not entirely representative of all eligible voters. The non-voters are
more likely to be young, poor, and minority -- groups that are most
likely to vote Democratic.  Turnout increased among all demographic
groups. Although the Kerry campaign and its allied 527 groups (Americans
Coming Together, the America Votes coalition, etc) did an impressive job
at voter registration and turnout, especially in swing states -- better
than liberal/labor groups have done in decades. But, they were
out-gunned by the Bush forces in the "ground game."

Exit polls  (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5297138 and
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html)
show that white evangelical/born-again Christians accounted for 23% of
the total vote last Tuesday, and that 78% of them voted for Bush. Among
evangelicals who attend church at least weekly (8% of the total vote),
96% voted for Bush. This is an incredibly large and stable captive
audience for the Republicans. Progressives' base -- African Americans
(11% of the vote, 88% margin for Kerry) and non-Cuban Latinos, union
members (12% of the vote, 61% for Kerry), the poor (voters with incomes
under $15,000, 8% of the total, went 63% for Kerry; those with incomes
between $15,000-$30,000, 15% of the total, went 57% for Kerry), the
helping/teaching professions, etc -- are less geographically stable and
less connected in terms of organizational affiliations. (Overall, voters
with family incomes below $50,000 - 45% of the total turnout -- voted
for Kerry 55-45%. Voters with family incomes over $50,000 -- 55% of the
total turnout -- voted for Bush, 56-43%. Even more dramatically, voters
with family incomes under $100,000 - 82% of turnout -- gave Kerry a
slight edge, 50-49%. Voters over $100,000 -- 18% of the total -- gave
Bush the edge, 58-41%. This was definitely an election with a clear
class dimension to it.

The long-term decline in union membership is a major factor in the gap
between how well the Kerry and the Bush forces did in mobilizing their
bases. Union membership -- 35% in the 1950s, 25% in the 1970s -- is down
to 12% today. Union members are more likely to vote, more likely to vote
for Democrats, and more likely to volunteer for campaigns (phone
banking, door-knocking) than people with similar demographic and job
characteristics who are not unionized. Union members represented 12% of
all votes on Tuesday; union households represented 24% of all voters on
Tuesday. The labor movement poured enormous resources (money, staff,
members) into this election and worked well in coalition with community
groups like ACORN, environmental, women's rights, consumer, and civil
rights groups. Had union membership been at 1970s levels, Kerry would
have won by a landslide. There's no quick fix to this. We won't see a
significant increase in union membership with federal labor law reform.
(See Dorothee Benz's insightful article about this in Fall 2004 issue of
Dissent magazine). And we're not going to get labor reform out of this
Congress and President.  But its important to start laying the
groundwork for such reform.

2. The issues:  The exit polls are clear about this. Bush made this
election a referendum on gay marriage and terrorism. Kerry tried to
focus on the economy, health care, and the war in Iraq.
    o 49% of voters are "angry" or "dissatisfied" with Bush, while 48%
are "satisfied" or "enthuastic" with Bush.
    o 70% of voters are "very concerned" about the availability and cost
of health care and another 23% are "somewhat concerned."
    o 54% percent of voters think that Bush pays more attendtion to
large corporations than to "ordinary Americans."
    o 52% of voters think the economy is either "not so good" or "poor,"
compared with 47% of voters who think the economy is "excellent" (only
4% do) or "good."
    o 43% of voters think the job situation in their area is worse than
it was four years ago, compared with 23% who think it is better.
(34% think it is the same).
    o 53% of voters think the war in Iraq is doing "somewhat" or "very"
badly and 46% of voters "somewhat" or "strongly" disapprove of the US
decision to go to war with Iraq. But...
    o 55% of voters think that the war in Iraq is part of the war on
terrorism
    Even on what the media call "moral values" (by which they really
mean opposition to gay marriage and to abortion), Tuesday's voters are
far from monolithic.
    o 55% of voters think that abortion should be legal in all cases
(21%) or most cases (34%). In other words, a pro-choice majority.
    o 60% of voters believe that gay and lesbian couples should be
allowed to legally marry (25%) or form civil unions but not marry (35%).
Only 37% oppose any legal recognition of gay/lesbian relationships.

3. The campaigns and the candidates

So, what happened?
    The voters who think "moral values" were the most important issue
in this campaign (22% of all voters) voted 80% for Bush.
    The voters who think that "terrorism" was the most important issue
in this campaign (19% of all voters) voted 86% for Bush.
    The voters who thought that taxes, education, Iraq, the economy
and health care were the most important issues voted for Kerry, but
(except for health care, 8% of all voters, 80% of whom voted for Kerry)
not by the same wide margins.
    Kerry's base was less enthusiastic about Kerry than Bush's base was
enthusiastic about Bush. Among the 69% of voters who were enthusiatic
"for" their candidate, 59% voted for Bush. Of the 25% of voters who
mainly voted "against" a candidate, 70% voted for Kerry. Bush inspired
his voters; Kerry voters were more likely to be voting "against" Bush
than "for" Kerry.  Kerry voters were more likely to think that "he cares
about people like me," "he is intelligent" and "he will bring about
needed change." Bush voters were more likely to think that Bush was a
"strong leader," "is honest and trustworthy," "has clear stands on the
issues," and "has strong religious faith."
    Karl Rove was successful in portraying Kerry as a flip-flopping
ultra-liberal with a controversial military record, tying the unpopular
war in Iraq to the popular war against terrorism, and mobilizing
conservative voters at record high numbers. Plus, Kerry's patrician
demeanor didn't make him the best salesman for the Democrat's strength
on issues.
    The majority of the major media (not just Fox News) made it easier
for Rove to accomplish this. The New York Times and other mainstream
media allowed the Bush admnistration and its allies to get away with its
lies about WMDs and the Osama-Saddam connection. They allowed the Bush
campaign and its allies to fabricate issues such as Kerry's war record
(allowing Swift Boat Veterans for Truth to dominate the news for more
than a week in October). They gave Rove a free hand at setting the
agenda around gay marriage, even making Kerry's reference to Mary
Cheney's lesbianism in the last debate a controversy out of nowhere.  T
    The Democrats made lots of strategic mistakes and were out-organized
by the GOP. The Bush forces were brilliant at encouraging conservative
voter turnout by reaching out to evangelical churches and by putting
ballot initiatives in 11 states opposing gay marriage.

4. Silver linings and next steps.

    The liberal forces had a parallel strategy to the anti-gay marriage
ballot measures, but only in two states. In Florida and Nevada,
progressive and liberal-labor groups sponsored statewide ballot measures
to raise each state's minimum wage by one dollar. In both cases, they
won overwhelmingly. In Florida, by 72-28; in Nevada, by 68-32.  Florida
voters approved, by a 72% to 28% margin (4.95 million to 1.96 million),
the statewide ballot initiative to raise the state minimum wage by one
dollar an hour, to $6.15/hour (and index it to inflation) -- sponsored
by ACORN with a broad coalition of unions and others liberal groups --
despite the united opposition (and heavy spending) by the state's big
business community. This margin was much higher than the very slim
margin for Republican Mel Martinez over Democrat Betty Castor for
Florida's open US Senate seat  Martinez won by a margin of slightly less
than 1 percentage point - about 68,000 votes out of 6.85 million cast.
Bush beat Kerry in Florida by slightly more than 300,000 votes.
    Obviously, many Floridians, including many middle class voters, who
voted for Bush and Martinez also voted to raise the minimum wage.
Florida saw a significant increase in turnout among low-income and
working class voters, as well as African American and Latino voters, in
Florida -- thanks to a grassroots voter registration and GOTV campaign
by the coalition of liberal and progressive groups -- but it wasn't
sufficient to beat Bush and (probably) Martinez.
    Many voters (though NOT a majority) may agree Bush on abortion, gay
rights, and terrorism, but most voters (and even more non-voters) do NOT
agree with Bush on his running of the economy, the widening economic
divide, the growing number of working poor, the increasing job
insecurity, the 45 million w/o health insurance. This should offer hope
for liberals and progressives.
    Liberal/progressive groups should be laying the groundwork for a
national campaign to raise the FEDERAL MINIMUM WAGE to at least the
poverty level: $9.50/hour (which translates into $19,000/year - the
official poverty level).  Kerry was too timid proposing $7/hour.  If the
minimum wage level in 1968 had risen with inflation, it would be $8/hour
now. Start off bold; compromise down the road to $7.50.
Despite the significant increase in voter turnout among the have-nots,
the overall turnout rate among poor, working class and minority voters
(in Florida, Ohio, and other swing states) was still much lower than it
should and could be, especially when compared to turnout rates among
more affluent voters, including evangelicals (whose churches did a great
job of mobilizing voters).
    The issue of the "working poor" and widening inequality is now a
mainstream issue. Ironically, welfare reform helped. Pushed off welfare,
folks are now working in the low-wage economy. Moral values? "Make work
pay." "No one who works full time should be in poverty."  Let Bush try
to oppose this. Let the guy in the White House who gave the richest
Americans a huge tax break say that a nurses aide with two kids making
$5.15/hour shouldn't be making $9.50/hour, $19,000/year.  Members of
Congress should be vulnerable to pressure to give Americans a raise. Let
the 435 members of the House and the 33 Senate members -- esp. the
Republicans -- try run for re-election in 2006 opposing the minimum
wage.   Business groups will argue that raising the min. wage will kills
jobs, esp. for small business. They'll trot out their hired-hand
economists.  There's plenty of empirical evidence that that it won't --
that the ripple ("muliplier") effects of raising the min. wage are
positive for jobs and the economy. Plus, with 45 million Americans w/o
health insurance, raising the min. wage is one way to help people
survive who work in low-wage jobs w/o benefits.
    To those suffering from post-election depression, I recommend Rich
Perlstein's book, BEFORE THE STORM. If you think Democrats are depressed
now, think about how depressed the Republicans were in 1964 when LJB
beat Goldwater in a landslide and the Democrats won huge majorities in
Congress. (One of Goldwater's volunteers was a young Arizona attorney
named William Renquist whose assignment was to keep Hispanics from
voting).  Almost every pundit in the country wrote the conservative
movement's obiturary. Goldwater's right-wing supporters were viewed as
fanatics, out of touch with mainstream America. But, the GOP's right
wing regrouped. With the help of conservative millionaires and
foundations, they created new organizations, professorships at
universities, and think tanks to help shape the intellectual climate.
They recruited a new generation of college students and funded their
organizations. They identified potential political candidates,
cultivated and trained them. They took over the atrophied apparatus of
the Republican Party. They helped change the political agenda. In 1980,
they elected Ronald Reagan.
    Mike Harrington used to say that progressives have to be
long-distance runners. We're in this for the long haul. We lost a big
battle on Tuesday, but we won a few skirmishes (ie Florida minimum wage;
California's tax on the very rich to fund mental health services), there
is still a war to win -- a war of ideas, a war of position, a war of
strategic and tactics. The next two years will be brutal and painful in
terms of Bush's foreign policy agenda, domestic agenda, a war on the
poor and workers, and Supreme Court appointments. It is time to take to
the streets as well as to regroup for another round of voter
mobilization, organizing at the local and state levels, and preparation
for the 2006 Congressional elections, only two years ago. We can try to
checkmate the worst part of Bush's agenda while building for the 2006
elections, the 2008 elections, and beyond.  This is no time for
hopelessness.

Peter Dreier

NEAL PEIRCE COLUMN
   For Immediate Release
   Normally for relase Sunday, November 7, 2004

    © 2004 Washington Post Writers Group

   PROGRESSIVES' POST-ELECTION DILEMMA:
   WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

   By Neal Peirce

         Progressives are being hard put to find an iota of silver lining
in the election returns.  The "most important election of our lifetimes"
has handed an enlarged mandate to an aggressively conservative
president.  Voters consolidated right-leaning Republican majorities in
Congress.  Social conservatives were energized as 11 states' voted to ban
gay marriages.
         More younger voters did turn out, and did give John Kerry a
majority of their votes.  But there's some disappointment in the left's
efforts to register more low-income and minority voters and actually get
them to the polls.  Despite significant increases over 2000, the turnout
among have-nots in such key states as Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania still
lagged far behind voting participation of affluent voters and, it appears,
the evangelicals mobilized through their churches.
         None of this means that Internet-based fund-raising and
organization, popularized by the Howard Dean campaign and embraced by a
range of the left's "527" and related political action groups -- MoveOn,
ACORN, the NAACP, the Sierra Club, the League of Conservation Voters and
ACT (Americans Coming Together) -- didn't do a lot to level the playing
field with a Republican campaign awash in cash.
         But for now the progressives have to face bitter domestic
prospects: what they expect to be more tax and regulatory favors for the
affluent and big corporations, a renewed wave of conservative appointees to
the courts (and almost surely the Supreme Court), watered down worker and
environmental protections, and -- to reduce the monstrous deficits
triggered by tax cuts and the Iraq war -- a potentially historic wave of
cuts in housing and other social benefits for the poor.
         Is any or all of that changed by President Bush's pledge, in his
acceptance speech, to seize his second term as an opportunity to "earn" the
trust of those who voted against him?  Progressives are sure to be
skeptical, bracing themselves for a repeat of the first Bush term formula
of aggressively conservative economic and social agendas, the now-familiar
Bush strategy to vanquish opponents rather than seek common ground.
         For the left, the big message of the 2004 election has to be one
virtually unthinkable in the last century: that the best opportunities for
progressive policy breakthroughs exist not at the federal, but at the state
and local level.
         And election day 2004 actually produced a model: despite
determined opposition by Gov. Jeb Bush and major business interests,
Floridians by an overwhelming vote -- 72 percent -- raised their state's
minimum wage to $6.15 an hour, $1 over the federal level.  By one estimate,
that means a $434 million a year increase for Florida workers.  A similar
measure won in Nevada.
         Peter Dreier, professor of urban policy at Occidental College and
a lead analyst-advocate of progressive causes, says increases in the
country's long-lagging minimum wage levels are precisely the types of issue
able to attract massive middle-class support even while drawing more
low-income, working class, African-American and Latino voters to the polls.
         "We're the richest country in the world but we have more
inequality and poverty, less job security, less health insurance, fewer
guaranteed paid yearly vacations than any other industrialized nation,"
Dreier notes. These are issues, he suggests, that political organizations
and unions can raise, appealing widely to the middle class as well as
low-income people.
         Kristina Wilfore, executive director the Ballot Initiative
Strategy Center in Washington, echoes the point: "The progressive movement
has failed to understand the states.  But with the presidency, Senate, and
House becoming more conservative, progressive planks will only succeed
through state ballot initiatives or actions of the state
legislatures.  Tuesday's initiative results showed how effective activists
at the local level can be, even overcoming huge odds by knowing how to
appeal to voters in their own communities."
         Last Tuesday's voting produced some cases in point.   To pay for
mental health services, for example, California voters approved a tax on
people with annual incomes of $1 million or more -- about as pure a "Robin
Hood" measure as one can imagine. Colorado and Oklahoma approved measures
to expand health care through tobacco taxes.  In Maine and Washington, tax
cut measures were defeated (for a change!).  Colorado approved setting
goals for public utilities to adapt more wind, solar and biomass power --
an important initiative for growing alliances of environmentalists and
community activists.
         Not all states, of course, allow ballot initiatives.  And when
proposals helping the disadvantaged but costing the affluent reach
legislatures, they're often easy prey for lobbyists.
         Still, the progressives who saw their hopes dashed in this week's
presidential and congressional elections don't need to be totally
depressed.  Voter-driven economic populism, a new and serious focus on
state-level action, and starting early and seriously to register the
toughest-to-mobilize new voters: the keys to a more promising political
future are at least in sight.

Peter Dreier
E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics
Director, Urban & Environmental Policy Program
Occidental College
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
Phone: (323) 259-2913