the failure of organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Nov 4 12:54:44 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Donna, Amy, Helen, Carol, Rick, Bill, Nia, and Charles
for the continuing discussion.  Some of these posts also include
discussion of Peter's message.  Let's keep talking.]

From: "donna hardina" <donna_hardina at csufresno.edu>

Randy,
    Thanks for the opportunity to talk about this. I'm still pretty stunned.
Just got back from doing "Election Protection" in Arizona which raised some
issues for me - NAACP, Working Assests, LULAC, and People for the American
Way put alot of money into recruting upper and middle income folks to go
into the swing states and poll watch in precincts with a history of minority
voter intimidation. The process was not particularly well organized - for a
time we had 9 poll watchers including 4 lawyers in a heavily Latino and
Democratic precinct - a Democratic party lawyer who lived in the precint
literally yelled at us about moving people into polling places in which we
could be more useful. Most of the additional workers were people of Latino
heritage from the local community who were recruited at the last minute to
help. Seems as if the emphasis should have been on empowering the community
to fight for their rights rather than bringing in affluent people in for
protection - although I think it was really good to have the lawyers
available. The community did appreciate our being there - however, in light
of the results - perhaps there were better ways to allocate resources.
Obviously a long term strategy is needed.

Another point I think we need to consider as organizers is that one of the
reasons that the Rove strategy produced massive conservative voter turn out
is that it relied on the use of volunteer labor rather than paid staff.
Volunteers were able to mobilize families, friends, and neighbors - people
with whom they shared personal connections and experiences. Shouldn't we be
focusing on building a sense of connection and community to mobilize people
for progressive social change? I would be interested in hearing from others
about how to do this.
                                                Donna

From:
Amy Hubbard <amyshubbard at yahoo.com>

Randy,
Thanks for your comments.  I felt better after reading them.  Just a short comment about gay rights being a middle-class issue.  You might as well have also said that it's a middle-class white issue because that's where most of the support is.  Of course, you'd be right about that but I just wanted to add that after I moved into my neighborhood two years ago (a lovely place in a corner of DC that unfortunately is gentrifying rapidly) I was struck by the number of black gay households in the neighborhood.  People may joke about the white gay couples that are moving in but I don't see the overall numbers of gay people in the neighborhood changing.  What's changing is that the new households are out to their neighbors (and probably out to their families as well).

As an outside observer (racially and orientation-wise) I may have this wrong, but it appears to me that the black churches have a powerful hold over community and family life and these churches don't want to know about their gay members.  Thus gay rights will usually be seen as a white issue.  (There's also some anger there about white gays being able to hide their sexual orientation and get benefits from being white while blacks will never be able to hide their race -- so *don't* compare gay rights to the civil rights movement!)  I don't know what it will take to change that and I'm not suggesting that organizers avoid it for that reason.  But it does remind me that sometimes white activists talk about the importance of building coalitions across racial lines without acknowledging that there are some fundamental differences over social issues.

--- which of course, you *didn't* say and, of course, I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know but your comments reminded me of other folks who have said things like that.
Amy Hubbard

************************

From: Helen Schaub <has8119 at yahoo.com>

Randy,

Thanks for this.  I think you are exactly right.

One of the things we did when I was at Mothers on the
Move in the Bronx is write a statement of principles
and values with our members.  It included a line about
respect and equality for everyone, regardless of
sexual orientation (among other things).    It was a
first step, but it allowed us to have the conversation
with our members.  We read the values statement at the
beginning of meetings, and spent some time in
organizational retreats going through different
scenarios about how to put it into practice...

The National Organizers Alliance put out an
organizers' training curriculum on wedge issues a
couple of years ago which poses some scenarios on how
to deal with this as well.

Helen Schaub
1199 SEIU New York

***********************

From: "Carol McCullough" <cmccullough at tnrc.net>

Hi Randy,
I really appreciate your thoughts on the failure of organizing when it
comes to dealing with wedge issues and the wider self-interest our
organizing must foster in order to get past those issues.  It brought to
mind two other concerns that I have been faced with in my experiences
with organizing.

The first is the racism towards "foreigners" that I have seen in my day
to day dealings with groups and, in particular, the police that the
groups work with (not so much with Latino folks as with those from the
Middle East and also those from India, Pakistan, etc who run shops and
motels frequently in trouble with the law).  Crime and safety are big
issues with many of the groups that I deal with, and the attitudes
toward "foreigners" (who have often been in the states for decades) are
pretty difficult to move people past so that they can deal with the real
root problems.

Another issue that I am reminded of is one that came up in my first
experiences in organizing.  I started out as a worker in a union
organizing campaign.  The ILWU worked with those of us at Powell's books
to form a union.  BUT that was not the real goal or the only result.
The process created UNIONISTS, not just union members--people who became
activists as a result of the experinece and in turn went out and fought
for other workers' rights.  I went on from that experience to work as a
union organizer and was completely disillusioned by the business
unionism approach that was just interested in getting the numbers and
not at all interested in creating unionists.  Given that not that many
unions are even really doing that much new organzing, the fact that a
lot of the organizing taht does take place is so superficial points to
why there is such a crisis with workers' rights in this country.

I'm not sure what my point here is other than the fact that I agree with
you that moving people from a narrow self-interest to a broader,
enlightened self-interest is definitely where I have seen organizing
(including my own) fall short.  I am very open to suggestions that
people might have.

Carol McCullough
Neighborhoods Resource Center
Nashville, TN

*******************

From: "Richart Keller" <richart.keller at verizon.net>

Randy

Thank you very much for that thoughtful commentary.

Like you, I think that a central message of the election (and, I would add,
of a lot of divisiveness which has been growing in this country, nurtured by
talk shows and other strident in-your-face discourse) is that we need to
take a new approach to organizing--starting by honest and respectful
listening and understanding.  I would add to your list the Listening Project
technique as another tool which has been very effective.

Perhaps most important, though, is that as individuals in our daily lives we
practice (and model) substituting love for fear, understanding that each of
us has a piece of the truth, and that each of us has a lot to learn.

I believe that solidarity is not the goal--the beloved community is; as
attributed to A.J. Muste:  "There is no way to peace; is the way."

Rick Keller
Providence, RI

*************************

From: "Spears, Bill" <SPEARSB at uthscsa.edu>

Randy,
I (as well as many if not most of your readers I am sure) agree with
you. Your last paragraph emphasizes building from the ground up.  It is
my belief that the Bush phenomenon is not lead by the "Bush Dynasty" but
a reflection of the mood and values of the country and the Bush
administration is a reflection of that.  I hope that this victory
encourages those of us that believe that love, inclusion, and
communication are a better way of living than fear and exclusion to do
more.  I have heard over and over "this country is deeply divided."  The
polictical campaign we experienced is a symptom of our willingness to
promote the differences in groups rather than promoting the
similarities.  I believe it is our job to look for ways to unite our
communities.  To do this we need to be willing to reach out to those who
we have not seen as our partners to see how we can make them partners.
By the way if you can find the entire Kerry consession speech (rather
than the snipit that was played in the news and websites) I think it
promotes working to merge the divide.
Bill Spears
San Antonio, TX

*************************

From: "Nia Wellman" <nwellman at squaxin.nsn.us>

"It's not that Kerry lost, it's that hatred won."

I think you are right--I think that is partially why I have been wandering
around in a fog.

I think I would add that gay rights are not a middle class issue for another
reason, besides the fact that it drives the factory worker to vote against
his class.  The gay or lesbian who is middle class has the option of moving
away from his or her community, exploring his or her identity, and being
true to his or her sexual orientation.

The gay or lesbian who is from a working class or survival background is
still gay or lesbian, but lives his or her life in silent fear that someone
may discover his or her secret.  Of course everyone knows, but no one talks
about it to the individual, so the individual is left with the false sense
of security that pretending is working.

To say that gay rights is a middle class issue is like saying that domestic
violence only occurs in poverty-stricken homes.  The reality is that people
with more economic resources have more ways to camoflauge or cure their
problems.  The upper class woman may have other means of escaping a domestic
violence situation than resorting to a safe-house or shelter.  So it is that
middle class gays have the added advantage of being able to move away from
their own communities (if necessary) and become who they truly are,
sometimes only possible outside of the shelter of family and home community.

For me as a lesbian, and a Christian, this whole experience has been very
humbling.  I have organized around many issues, but never around gay rights
and/or the church.  Perhaps it is time for a change.

Nia Wellman

***********************************

From: Charles Heying <heyingc at pdx.edu>

In Oregon, Gore won by 6000 votes in 2000, Kerry increased the margin of
victory to 70,000 votes in 2004. At the state level, dems won all the
major state level positions, retained all national incumbencies, changed
the margin in the state senate from 15/15 to 18/12 dem over rep., and
came close to winning a majority in the house.  At the local level,
Portland elected a mayor who developed a real grassroots principled
campaign that began with a limit of donations to $25/person in the
primary and $100/person in the general election. He spent $70,000 to his
opponent 's nearly $1 million and yet he won the election 63% to 37%.
His opponent was a respected local council member and there were no
major scandals.

Second observation - Portland was one of 33 test markets for the
progressive talk radio Air America.  The AM station carrying Air America
zoomed to the highest rated station in the region with a market share
several times its nearest hate radio competitor.

Whats the point of this?  A question?  Does anyone know how dems did in
other test markets of Air America?  Obviously, these are areas where the
progressive message should be popular but if they are also areas where
the margins of victory increased, does this tell us something about
media dominance and civic engagement.
(what follows is one response I received from posting this question on
COMM-URB list)
colorado is another progressive talk show test market. dems won the
legislature; "state political leaders reacted with stunned disbelief as they
contemplated democratic majorities in both the colorado house and the senate
(denver post)" for the first time since 1976. voters also approved ballot
issues on mass transit, tobacco tax and revewable energy.
Take care, Charles