query: using the Internet to organize opinion

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Mar 30 08:04:52 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Larry for the response to Claudius' query.  I have added
his paper to the COMM-ORG Web Advice page, http://comm-
org.utoledo.edu/cboweb.htm.]

From: Larry Yates <lamaryates at igc.org>

Greetings

I did some thinking about these issues back into the paleolithic era of
the Internet, in 1996, and published a paper which is summarized at
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/whatis/conferences/inet/96/proceedings/e6/
e6_1.htm

I think that paper has stood the test of time fairly well. A major
point of the piece is that the Internet does not really reach out and
communicate to people. Its different activities complement organizing,
mobilization and education activities. For example, a website is a good
way to pull in and inform those who are already aware of your issue and
looking for more. E-mail is the best way to communicate with a lot of
folks a lot of the time. My experience with issue-oriented chat-rooms,
which is minimal, suggests they are mostly people yelling at each  other,
but there must be exceptions. Focused e-mail lists, with active  managers
(like this one) are a good way to keep an already existing but  scattered
community connected. But I have yet to see evidence that the  Internet
does much of a job of reaching people not already thinking  about an issue
or situation and engages or educates them. (Of course, I  think that's a
highly overrated activity anyway.)

I can also recommend someone who has thought a lot more in depth than I
have about these issues, a UCLA professor named Phil Agre. He is not an
organizer, but he is keenly aware of the social implications of the
Internet. His homepage is at http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/

Larry Yates
Maurertown VA