new book: models of community organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Jan 27 19:23:12 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Kris for continuing the discussion generated by her book
announcement.]

From: "Kristina Smock" <k-smock at justice.com>

A quick clarification in response to Shannah's posting:

The five model typology in my book was developed by me as a way
to analyze some of the questions about organizing that I find
most intriguing. There are other typologies that are equally
valid, and a variety of other typologies exist in the literature.

I explain my typology in more detail in chapter two of the book,
along with many caveats about the notion of "models" of
organizing. In regard to Shannah's particular question, the focus
of my book is on neighborhood-based organizing specifically. My
typology reflects the range of approaches that I've encountered
for organizing people at a neighborhood level. The particular
questions I was interested in exploring (e.g. the organizations'
theories about the nature of urban neighborhood problems, the way
decisions get made, the way leadership is developed, etc.) also
shaped the way I defined the typology.

One more point of clarification: The "women-centered" model in my
book is not an identity based model. It's a particular approach
to neighborhood based organizing. The name "women-centered" has
been used by a number of different authors (e.g. see Randy
Stoecker and Susan Stall's comm-org working paper), so I chose to
use it in the book for consistency.

KRIS SMOCK
k-smock at justice.com