query: service learning for businesses

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jan 26 21:17:25 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Garry, Linda, and Sarena for replying to Ann's query.]

From: Garry Hesser <hesser at augsburg.edu>

Check the website for Bentley College in MA and syllabi for Business,
Accounting on the Campus Compact website [www.compact.org].  At
Augsburg, our classes in Marketing, Accounting, and MIS routinely
provide such assistance for non-profits, CDC's as well as for-profits
and Bentley [which is a business college] has been engaged in this sort
of thing for over a decade.

Best wishes,

Garry

*************************

From: Linda Nessel <lnessel at earthlink.net>

Hi Ann and others on the list with interests in forging links between
private and non-profit sectors that can strengthen economic growth:

Your query seems timely since many projections of economic growth
center on nurturing and strengthening small businesses.  I have been
exploring ways that those in the private sector can become involved in
public service activities without giving up their "day job" including
strategies that enable business and social work students to engage in
some mutual learning. Currently, I teach Community Organizing to
Graduate Students in Social Service and think there are some
promising avenues for mutual learning that could expand economic
development opportunities for those at the lower rungs of the
employment ladder.

I have come across a few resources that might be helpful.  MBAs4NYC
is a not-for-profit consulting organization that provides pro bono
advisory services to qualified small businesses in Lower Manhattan
adversely affected by the events of 9/11 www.mbas4nyc.org.  Although
specifically responding to the events of 9/11, there are broader
implications of volunteers from the business sector helping small
businesses with tangible plans (marketing etc.) that help them survive
and continue to employ workers. Their web page and links will also take
you to business schools that have non-profit concentrations and
placements.  Another group that has a track record in this area and
might provide some mentoring for business students is National
Executive Service Corps, that taps retired executives (and those
displaced after the collapse of the dot.com economy  and places them
with non profits) http://www.nesc.org/

I believe  (or hope) there is an untapped but growing interest in the
private sector in meaningful ways to strengthen the grass roots
sector.(and give employees meaningful projects and experience)  I
would welcome the list's experience and/or input about either:

1) Joint MBA/MSW courses that emphasizes mutual learning and/or

2) Distance-learning courses that matches business students (or those
with business experience) with fledgling non-profits (e.g, small crafts
cooperatives) helping them design and implement business and
marketing plans.

linda

************************

From: Sarena Seifer <sarena at u.washington.edu>

Dear Ann,

In our work for the National Service-Learning Clearinghouse, we have
collected information on service-learning in business schools/degree
programs.  There are many models that involve for-profit businesses as
service-learning partners.  The websites below provide links to a fact
sheet on SL in different academic disciplines (including business) and
to some specific business school programs.  Also, HUD's Office of
University Partnerships website has brief descriptions of their
Community Outreach Partnership Center grantees, some involving
business students as service-learners with for-profit businesses.  You
might contact OUP director Armand Carriere at
Armand_W._Carriere at hud.gov for specific information and to post
your question below on the COPC grantee listserv.

Fact sheet:
http://www.servicelearning.org/article/archive/92/

University of Washington's business and economic development
program:
http://depts.washington.edu/busdev/

West Virginia University:
http://www.nis.wvu.edu/2003_Releases/regional_economic_dev_partne
rship.htm
HUD's OUP website: www.oup.org

Good luck!

Sarena D. Seifer
Executive Director, Community-Campus Partnerships for Health,
www.ccph.info
Senior Program Advisor for Higher Education, National Service-
Learning
Clearinghouse, www.servicelearning.org

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health is a nonprofit organization
that promotes health through partnerships between communities and
higher educational institutions.  Check out our website at www.ccph.info

CCPH is the Higher Education Senior Program Advisor for the Learn
and
Serve America National Service-Learning Clearinghouse.  Visit the
Clearinghouse at www.servicelearning.org