new book: models of community organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jan 26 21:13:23 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Doug for continuing the discussion begun by Kris' book
announcement.  And nice to see we are getting noticed.  :-) ]

From: DougRHess at aol.com

Hello and happy new year (both of them) to all. I have not read Kris's
book yet, but have ordered it as I have an interest it the topics she
seems to raise from the description she sent. Regarding Shannah's
comment: I think it is an excellent question since the title "women-
centered" organizing implies that their are different kinds of organizing
that may be defined based on wedges that exist (either essentially or
socially) among us. Thus, there would be a need for women-, race-,
gay-, disability- (each one of them) organizing, etc., etc., etc. To me this
seems a bit unwieldy. Rather, I would say there is organizing, period.
Now, different communities and staffers in the same organization
ALWAYS organize somewhat differently (no matter what they tell
novices).  In addition, other forms of social interventions that are also
meant to be grassroots oriented may do important things and have
much to offer organizing. Often they are incorporated more, and
sometimes less, into organizing drives and campaigns. However, I
would not call them organizing. This is not meant to over privilege the
word organizing, rather to keep the discussion clean and sharp. For
instance, (what I see as) community building maybe emphasized as a
prelude to (what I see as) organizing by some
groups/organizers/cultures/funders more than others. That doesn't
mean that this is a newly found way of organizing, just a different mix of
it with other forms of social change. I am hoping this makes some sort
of sense...my sadly brief review of some of my thoughts on this is in my
1999 working paper on the comm-org page. (Trivial note: my working
paper was recently cited in a paper in Stanford Law Review and some
papers in German, thus revealing the ever-growing
readship/popularity/influence of comm-org).

Doug Hess
Ph.D. Student,
School of Public Policy & Administration,
George Washington University

Home address:
2114 N St., NW Apt. 23
Washington, DC 20037