new book: models of community organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jan 25 09:23:09 CST 2004

[ed:  the announcement of Kris' book has elicited responses from Carol
and Shannah that invite us into discussion.]

From: "Carol McCullough" <cmccullough at tnrc.net>

I received the email (through comm.-org included in the attachment below)
RE: your book and want to congratulate you.  It sounds like a wonderful
and useful publication.

I also wanted to let you know that the workers at Powell's continue to be
involved in a contract dispute.  I would like to suggest that you talk
with them (the Local 5 ph # is 503-228-5047) about whether you should be
promoting the Powell's website (my last communication with them indicated
that they would prefer that people boycott and call CEO Ann Smith at
503-228-4651 x226 stating that they are doing so).

If it is ok to buy, customers should be made aware that if they enter the
Powell's website through www.powellsunion.com, the workers will receive
10% of the profits of the sale.  We devised this as a form of profit
sharing in the last contract.

For more information, you can go to www.ilwulocal5.com.  Thanks for your
time and attention.

Carol McCullough (former Powell's worker)

Carol McCullough
Neighborhood Organizer
Neighborhoods Resource Center
P.O. Box 100941
Nashville, TN 37224-0941
Phone: (615) 782-8212 x28
Fax: (615)782-8213
cmccullough at tnrc.net

From: "Shannah Kurland" <shannah_k at hotmail.com>

I'm just curious when and by whom it was decided that those five
models

>power-based,
>community-building, civic, women-centered, and transformative.

are the "dominant" ones.  Interesting that none of those official names
refer to race or migrant status identities, indigenous origins (or lack
there-of) or political beliefs/values.  Guess I'll have to stay a little
more up on the literature.