query: mentoring organizers

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jan 25 08:55:43 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Jeff for responding to Steve's query.]

This is in response to Steve Taylor's request for information on
mentoring experiences.  The following is based on my own
experiences.

I organized with a handful of organizations in Chicago from 1995-2002.
Although I am no longer a community organizer (having migrated to the
funding world), I still mentor community organizers in Chicago.  In my
career, I have had formal mentorships with four organizers that lasted
anywhere from two months to seven years, and have mentored three
organizers for between two months and three years.  I feel fortunate to
have spent this time in Chicago, which has several organizers with 20+
years of experience in the field, and a developing culture and practice
of mentorship.

In a field that takes years to learn to do well, mentoring helps to raise
the learning curve of new organizers.  Done well, it also helps remind
both mentor and mentee of the excitement that brought them to
organizing in the first place.  With this in mind, I make a distinction
between formal and informal mentoring.  Formal mentoring involves an
agreement (verbal or otherwise) between mentor and mentee about the
nature of the relationship, and some understanding about the work that
each party is committing to do. I've found that where there hasn't been
a conversation about the terms of the relationship, important things can
still be learned, but one or both parties often ends up disappointed that
they didn't get everything they could have out of the relationship.  I feel
this way about most of my influential college professors  -- "if I had only
spent more time with them outside of class..."  Mentoring is a risky
experience for people, and the more explicitly defined the relationship
is, the harder it is to let slide.

My working definition of a mentor is "someone who holds you
accountable for your own growth and development."  It's a definition
that doesn't depend on age or experience.  I've been in peer mentoring
situations that serve this function.  However, I still encourage people to
shoot as high as they can in choosing a mentor.  The difference that
experience makes is that it allows someone to see your blind spots -
those things you need to learn that you're either ignorant or afraid of.  A
mentor can only teach what they know, so it helps to have someone
with a breadth of experience.

The mentorships that I've had have included some or all of the following
activities: a regular meeting, written reflections or journaling shared with
the mentor, "shadowing" of the mentor, observation and critique of the
mentee at work, and a joint project.

*Meetings:  I've arranged them weekly, biweekly, or monthly, depending
on the mentorship.  The key is regularity.  My best mentoring meetings
have had an agenda.  Part of the agenda may be devoted to the
mentee's progress in a particular area (I spent several months working
on my own ability to follow-through on projects), discussion of journal
entries, debriefing actions, strategizing around upcoming work, or
whatever else suggests itself.  I remember every once in a while having
the "I'm not sure I want to be an organizer anymore" discussion, and
even though I stayed with it at the time, it helped me to remember why I
was doing the work.

*Written Reflections: it was drilled into me from the beginning that I
should take an hour and a half a week to write and reflect on my work,
and I would often photocopy those writings to give to my mentor to
prepare for meetings.  It's an additional level of accountability to self
that made my mentorships more productive.

*Shadowing the mentor:  Some of my most important learning
happened in watching mentors work.  One even took me on some one-
on-ones with him. Much of the real learning happens in debriefing what
you see with the mentor, ideally immediately after a meeting, action, or
other common experience.

*Observation and critique of the mentee at work: This is often the most
delicate part of the mentor's work.  You can do real damage to
someone if you're not careful.  A couple of rules I've lived by is always
to point out what someone is doing right as well as what they're doing
wrong, and don't hold someone accountable for something you haven't
taught them yet.

*Joint project:  Sometimes there's a piece of organizing work you're
responsible for together.  Other times, you might screen movies, read
books, or do an activity together.  With one of my mentees, we had
read passages from the Tao Te Ching as a way to talk about leadership
style. I'm teaching another mentee to play chess as a way to talk about
organizing strategy.  A mentor of mine recently asked me to design a
learning program for myself around power as if it were a college course,
and following my course plan will be the basis for our meetings over the
next year.

In all of this, I'm concerned that organizers learn how to mentor.  The
future of the field depends on it.

Jeff Pinzino

jpinzino at woodsfund.org <mailto:jpinzino at woodsfund.org>