query: housing organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jan 25 08:38:55 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Stephen, Robert, and Harold for replying to Kelly's
query. CES is now linked from the COMM-ORG "CO groups and
networks" page.]

From: StephenMeacham at aol.com

To Portland City Life is engaged in extensive affordable housing
organizing.   We focus on tenants rights work, tenant organizing.   We
negotiate collective bargaining agreements with landlords to limit rent
increases and evictions.   Policy goals supported by a city-wide
coalition, the Boston Tenant Coalition, include rent regulation and focus
on permanent, out of the market affordability.   Many documents
available.

***************************

From: Roberto Bustillo <jrbustillo58 at yahoo.com>

Hi Kelly:

You may want to check our new web site:

www.CESinaction.org

Let me tell you that organizing in housing issues is a rewarding
experience due to the fact that you can see changes in the way tenants
are living.

I hope you will enjoy this work.

From: Harold Simon <hsimon at nhi.org>

Dear Kelly,

For many years Shelterforce has written about organizing and housing
and sometimes organizing around housing. Most of our articles are on
line and you can see our organizing articles and columns collected at:

http://www.nhi.org/online/issues.html

Good luck.

-Harold