query: mentoring organizers

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Jan 21 09:05:03 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to James for the thoughts on Steve's query.]

From: James Whelan <james.whelan at griffith.edu.au>

Hi Comm-Org folk - and Steve in particular

I can also recall very clearly the rapid transition from being mentored to
consciously mentoring. I didn't feel ready but was pushed in that
direction. Social movements turn over so rapidly - after a year or two
you can be seen as an old-timer.

Since making the partial transition from front-line / fulltime organising to
work in research, I've developed a six month course in environmental
advocacy that includes an internship scheme. This provides an
opportunity for participants to experience campaigns first-hand and
analyse strategies and tactics, as well as mentoring with/from
experienced advocates. I'm just starting the course for its second run.
Feedback from the first cohort suggested the experience was
challenging and powerful learning.

I'd be pleased to share the guidelines/structure for this internship
scheme.

James

__________________________________
Dr James Whelan
Faculty of Environmental Science, Griffith University
Rm 0.28C Environment 1, Nathan Campus 4111 Queensland  Australia
T 07 3875 7457     F 07 3875 7459  M 0439 875 859
James.Whelan at griffith.edu.au

Theme Leader, Citizen Science
* CRC for Coastal Zone, Estuary and Waterway Management
http://www.coastal.crc.org.au/toolbox/index.asp

Environmental advocacy course @ Griffith Uni March-June
http://www.environmentaladvocacy.org