query: housing organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Jan 20 21:16:45 CST 2004

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your responses to
Kelly's query.]

From: "oso & angel" <angel at spiritone.com>

Hi everyone!

I am looking for any free materials, resources, advice, ideas or wisdom,
related to affordable housing advocacy, and ORGANIZING around
affordable housing issues in particular.

I have a fair amount of experience doing organizing generally on a
range of issues using various models, but not a whole lot of background
on this topic and it's particular challenges...

I just got hired as an affordable housing organizer for a very NEW
project just outside Portland, Oregon.  It is only funded for  5 months ,
so I'd really like to hit the ground running, and I hate to (unneccesarily)
reinvent the wheel.

Please send me ANYTHING you feel might be useful, and I can
certainly provide greater detail for anyone interested that.

Thanks SO Much,
Kelly Caldwell
Angel at spiritone.com
503-239-5679
4615 SE Sherman
Portland OR 97215

a quick aside :

I first signed onto this list 5 years ago as an activist/grad student, and
have been subscribed off and on ever since. Mostly I've just skimmed
the messages and used the website as a resource.

I am providing the  link to my Masters Project just in case anyone might
find it interesting: The Healthy Neighborhoods Project: A Community
Organizing and Development Model for Portland, Oregon. Online at
www.eastportlandcohousing.org/hnp