query: mentoring organizers

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Jan 14 21:54:58 CST 2004

[ed: Steve invites us to discuss questions of both identity and practice
of being an organizing mentor.]

From: "Steve Taylor" <steve at miltoxproj.org>

Hello all -

At some point in my life and my career as an organizer, I seem to have
changed from being someone who had mentors and was primarily
focused on learning knowledge and skills into someone who also
mentors others and tries to pass on knowledge and skills. This has
naturally come as somewhat of a challenge for me, and I do struggle a
bit with the balance between encouraging others and letting them make
their own decisions and mistakes, but also trying to help things go well
and offer my own suggestions when appropriate.

So I'm very interested in what other people's experiences have been as
mentors and teachers of organizers (both paid and unpaid), as well as
what people's experiences have been as learners and mentees (is that
a word?). (And naturally I recognize that we all do learn from each
other, regardless of our backgrounds, experience, etc.)

Any advice or perspectives about all this would be much appreciated
and I think helpful to the list at large.

Steve Taylor
National Organizer
Military Toxics Project
207-783-5091 (phone)