CDCs and community organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Feb 27 19:22:36 CST 2004

[ed:  you can get the documents below currently as PDF files.  Watch
for them appearing in the COMM-ORG papers collection coming soon.]

From: "Nancy Marks" <NancyM at macdc.org>

February 25, 2004

Dear Comm-List Colleagues:

We are pleased to share with you some three important reporting
documents that the Ricanne Hadrian Initiative for Community
Organizing (RHICO) has just produced. RHICO is a joint program of the
Massachusetts Association of Community Development Corporations
(MACDC) and the Local Initiative Support Corporation (LISC-Boston).
RHICO was created to improve and enhance the ability of CDCs to
represent disenfranchised communities through the integration of
organizing and development in order to build community and
organizational power.

We hope you will take the time to look at these three reports. These
reportsy offer a snapshot into the exciting, rich and challenging world of
CDC organizing:

·An Overview of RHICO: Massachusetts CDCs Organizing for Change

·Behind the Organizing: Measuring CDC Progress
RHICO is one of the first groups in the country As one of the few groups
in the country to do so, RHICO attempting to capture the impact of CDC
organizing using quantitative measurements. RHICO CDCs that are
working to integrate organizing and housing development strategies are
showing increases in the number of produced and preserved housing
units, new leaders and active members, and policy victories for their
neighborhoods.

·CDC Stories of Change
Using qualitative accounts, this document brings to light the work of
RHICO CDCs. Stories range from community leaders struggling to build
not just more affordable housing, but housing that reflects their
community's vision to CDCs that are engaging neighborhood residents
while challenging themselves to be more democratic organizations.

Please use the links below to download these reports and learn more
about RHICO; scroll down to "for more information" on each page
listed.

--RHICO Overview
http://www.macdc.org/docs/rhico.html

--Behind the Organizing
--CDC Stories of Change
http://www.macdc.org/docs/rhico_org.html

We welcome  your comments and questions. If you would like
additional information about RHICO, please feel free to contact me.

Peace.
Nanc

Nancy Marks
Director of Organizing, MACDC