query: is organizing good for your health

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Feb 22 15:14:45 CST 2004

[ed:  Amanda elaborates on Doug's comments.]

From: "Amanda I. Seligman" <seligman at uwm.edu>

The term "learned helplessness" was coined by psychologist Martin
Seligman.  In the 1980s he changed his focus from the negative effects of
helplessness to the positive effects of optimism, centering on one's
"explanatory style."  He now promotes "positive psychology" as a research
interest and a general outlook.  His two most recent useful books, written
to be accessble to the general public, on the positive psychology side are
LEARNED OPTIMISM and AUTHENTIC HAPPINESS.

[full disclosure:  I am his daughter]