query: is organizing good for your health

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Feb 19 10:29:26 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Doug for replying to Jennifer's query, and responding to
Nathan's post.]

From: DougRHess at aol.com

Interesting comments by Nathan, as always. It calls to mind some
research done on the amount of control nursing home elderly had over
their lives and longevity that were done long ago. I believe searching
for the term "learned helplessness" would turn these studies up. I don't
know where that theory/research stands, but it was popular in the
1980s. Essentially, when given a constant sense of defeat, lab animals
would stop acting to help themselves (insert cruel lab rat and dog
experiment data here.) Of course, lab rats don't organize (effectively at
least). But the idea that organizing gives feelings of efficacy is very old,
if not well tested.

One question for the theory will be this: does the actual extent of the
control over one's life matter, or just the perception of it?

Doug Hess
Ph.D. Student,
School of Public Policy & Administration,
George Washington University

Home address:
2114 N St., NW Apt. 23
Washington, DC 20037