query: is organizing good for your health

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Feb 16 08:31:00 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Heidi and Nathan for replying to Jennifer's query.]

From: "Heidi Swarts" <HJSwarts at maxwell.syr.edu>

Here are two ideas for research on whether organizing is good for you:
1. a conference paper I have NOT read:
 1. Javeline, Debra. "The Effects of Protest on Public Health" Paper
presented at the annual meeting of the The American Political Science Association Philadelphia
Mariott Hotel, Philadelphia, PA, 2003-08-27 Online--available to APSA members

2. In Robert Putnam's Bowling Alone, he presents data on the positive health effects of membership and involvement in organizations of any type. There is a lot of data that community involvement is good for your physical health. The book includes a whole chapter on this.

Good luck!
Heidi Swarts

*************************************

From: "Nathan Henderson-James" <nathanhj7 at hotmail.com>

Well, now, this is an interesting question. And the answer is, as far as I
know, no.

Now, there are some interesting studies and literature that point
towards a hypothesis that posits that community organizing is good for
the health of the people involved and, by extension, also good for
people who live near improvements won through organizing (though the
effects are probably not as strong). Some of this includes the
longitudinal studies of the British civil service by Marmot, some studies
of nursing home patients by the Harvard School of Public Health (at
least I think its them), and an intriguing book by Kawachi and Kennedy
called The Health of Nations, which idicts inequality within societies as
a prime cause of negative public health outcomes.

All of this led me to seek out a leader in the field of social epidemiology
named S. Len Syme, an emeritus professo at the UC Berkeley School
of Public Health. In fact, he helped found the field and when I
suggested to him that CO was a potential intervention to increase the
health of people involved in it, he was intrigued. Every other
intervention tried in teh field had failed miserably and they had come to
the conclusion that something having to do with "locus of control" or the
loosely-defined "empowerment" had something to do with what was
happening, espcially since there was a marked difference in the health
outcomes of people as you climb the socio-economic gradient (in other
words poor people get sick and die at rates much higher than affluent
people; well it's slightly more complex than that, but that's the idea I
was most interested in as an ACORN staff member).

So Len and I have worked with some grad students and created a
design for a study that would look at an ACORN organizing drive and
see what kinds of changes in people's perception of there mental and
physical health occurred over that time. Right now we're starting to look
around for the funding to put it into practice. If we can secure some and
run a study with significant results, then we might ber at th start of an
entirely new era in the perception of community organizing, not to
mention the possibilities for funding.

We're presenting a paper on our collaboration to date at a conference
on interdiciplinary research at Vanderbilt University in May. I'd be more
than happy to keep people abrest of developments as they occur. And,
of course, any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Especially if you know people at the CDC, NIH, or Robert Wood
Johnson Foundation. 8-)

For the purposes of this particular request, I would look for the studies
of the nursing home patients. The results were striking. Citations for the
studies can be found in Robert Sapolsky's book Why Zebra's Don't Get
Ulcers.

Nathan

Nathan Henderson-James
Performance Poet
ACORN National Political Staff
510-213-1970 cell
nathanhj7 at hotmail.com
"I want to inject your blunt caustic observations between my toes so
that some day my truth will kick someone's ass!"