antiviolence organizing, Juarez

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sat Feb 14 08:34:45 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Kathy and Laura for responding to Kay's question,
reposted below.]

From: "Staudt, Kathleen" <kstaudt at utep.edu>

Yes, thanks for asking.  There are many things:

*press any and all political representatives for what they are doing on
this issue.  Congresswoman Hilda Solis (of Los Angeles) and many
Hispanic Caucus members introduced a bipartisan resolution that
condemns the murders and offers U.S. assistance on DNA testing, etc.
See the Washington Office on Latin America web site:
www.wola.org/Mexico/Juarez/congressional_concern.htm

*consider economic issues and economic influence.  The global
economy and the hundreds of U.S. corporations with factories in Juarez
operate in full force, paying legal minimum wages of $25-30/week
(that's week, not day!) and contributing to the concept of young women
(the majority of the quarter-million assembly-line workforce in Juarez)
as 'disposable labor'.  Workers need living wages in Juarez.  Also
remember the economic pressures applied to South Africa under
apartheid.  Our consumer behavior ought to be based in part on
working conditions during production.

*IF fund-raising is an interest, channel resources to reputable
nonprofits that work in solidarity with NGOs in Mexico.  One that works
with victims' families and anti-violence counseling centers in Juarez is
the Las Cruces-based Amigos de las Mujeres de Ciudad Juarez
(www.amigosdemujeres.org).

*personal, everyday decision-making and behavior: reduce/end
violence (horrible rates of domestic violence transcend borders) and
end the seemingly insatiable US demand for drugs (US drug demand
contributes to 'cartel-ization,' corrupted police authorities, and overall
lawlessness in places like Juarez).

*support a human rights amendment with real enforcement capabilities.
The U.S. and Mexico work together on commerce, trade, etc: why not
mutual support for human rights?

Kathy

**************************

From: "Laura" <lmckieran at vei.net>

For solidarity with the disappeared/raped/murdered/tortured women and
girls in Ciudad Juarez, and the survivors still living in fear:

(1) search google ("international women's day" 2004 juarez) for info
about many local events being held in conjunction with International
Women's Day March 6.

(2) If you have one, call your local women's organization(s),
progressive church(es), or Amnesty chapter to find out if there's a
campaign, march, candlelight vigil, or community forum.

(3) if there isn't, organize one, even if it's just you and two friends.

(4) write letters to President Fox, President Bush, your congressional
reps, your local newspaper, your parents.

(5) talk about it incessantly until people run when they see you coming
(people already run when they see most of us coming, anyway). when
they run, give chase while talking louder, particularly if you're
downwind.

(6) Schedule a screening of Lourdes Portillo's documentary _Senorita
Extraviada_ (http://www.lourdesportillo.com/senoritaextraviada/)

(7) Make donations to those organizations that have been doing this
work for years and years with or without U.S. publicity or assistance

(8) Educate yourself and others further:
    http://www.geocities.com/pornuestrashijas/
    http://www.mexicosolidarity.org/Juarez_Action.html
    http://www.casa-amiga.org/
    http://www.lourdesportillo.com/senoritaextraviada/links.html