query: rural anti-drug organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sat Feb 14 08:19:51 CST 2004

[ed:  feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your responses to
Randy's query.]

From: Ranmyiccs at aol.com

I'm looking for examples of small rural communities doing successful
grassroots organizing campaigns in response to the drug trafficking
culture.

I'm a community organizer with Illinois Coalition for Community
Services in central IL.  Of the six counties I work, each one has a Meth
trade that is out of control.  To top things off, most of our local
municipalities are facing budget cuts and are not hiring drug
enforcement personnel, even seeing the ranks of regular police
reduced through attrition.

While community service programs of prevention are somewhat helpful
and educational, they are not really making it well. There is a real
feeling of powerlessness and hopelessness in the face of the situation.

So what are some ways COs are working from the grassroots,
empowering people to address the problem?

Thanks for any direction or examples you can give me.

Peace,
Randy Myers
Tallgrass Area Project
Illinois Coalition for Community Services
Ranmyiccs at aol.com