investigations of activists

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Feb 12 12:10:20 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Betty, Jeri, and Jill for the reassuring updates]

From: "Betty G. Robinson" <bgrobinson at verizon.net>

I noticed the post re anti-war activists from Herbert Rubin (the link in it
had expired) so I checked further because I thought it was probably the
Drake case -- the same reporter he mentions in his post wrote the piece
for the AP which I received.  So here is the latest info on that. There
was undoubtedly some goodorganizing which accompanied the victory.
Betty Robinson

Feds Drop Subpoenas Against Drake & Peace Activists

In Iowa, under public pressure federal prosecutors have reversed
themselves and dropped a controversial subpoena that would have
forced Drake Universi ty to hand over detailed information about who
organized and attended an an ti-war forum at the campus last
November. The government has also dropped a subpoena for four anti-
war activists to appear before a grand jury for que stioning. Civil
liberties attorneys said they had not seen such subpoenas s ince the
1950s during the McCarthy Era.

Source:  DemocracyNow!   In DC Listen to 89.3 FM  8am  &  6pm

From: Jeri Schneider <jeris at icpsr.umich.edu>

According to a 2/11 article on commondreams.org, the subpoenas were
dropped, due to pressure from "civil liberties advocates, politicians and
peace activists."

"U.S. Officials Drop Activist Subpoenas: Judge lifts Drake gag order in
probe of anti-war protest," by Jeff Eckhoff and Mark Siebert

at http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0211-01.htm

Jeri