antiviolence organizing, Juarez

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Feb 11 18:10:56 CST 2004

[ed: thanks to Laura for replying to Kay's question.]

From: "Laura" <lmckieran at vei.net>

 For solidarity with the disappeared/raped/murdered/tortured women and girls in Ciudad Juarez, and the survivors still living in fear:

 (1) search google ("international women's day" 2004 juarez) for info about many local events being held in conjunction with International Women's Day March 6.

 (2) If you have one, call your local women's organization(s), progressive church(es), or Amnesty chapter to find out if there's a campaign, march, candlelight vigil, or community forum.

 (3) if there isn't, organize one, even if it's just you and two friends.

 (4) write letters to President Fox, President Bush, your congressional reps, your local newspaper, your parents.

 (5) talk about it incessantly until people run when they see you coming (people already run when they see most of us coming, anyway). when they run, give chase while talking louder, particularly if you're downwind.

 (6) Schedule a screening of Lourdes Portillo's documentary _Senorita Extraviada_ (http://www.lourdesportillo.com/senoritaextraviada/)

 (7) Make donations to those organizations that have been doing this work for years and years with or without U.S. publicity or assistance

 (8) Educate yourself and others further:
     http://www.geocities.com/pornuestrashijas/
     http://www.mexicosolidarity.org/Juarez_Action.html
     http://www.casa-amiga.org/
     http://www.lourdesportillo.com/senoritaextraviada/links.html

 (9) consider signing the petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/  .
Search for Juarez in the search box or find it linked under "Spotlight:
Amnesty International" on the home page.

http://www.vei.net/
mailtospamtrap at vei.net