query: job experience

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Feb 8 09:14:30 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Alison for replying to Craig's query.]

From: "alison cordero" <acordero at stnicksnpc.com>

Americorps, and similar organizations like the Jesuit volunteer corp
have
provided us with a good pool from which we've hired organizers.
However, it
is generally only practical for people who already have low cost
housing,
live with their parents or in some kind of collective setting, and/or have
benefits or another family member to supplement their income.

In hiring organizers I look both at job experience and volunteer
experience,
in community campaigns, churches, tenant associations etc. The query
was
from someone who is finishing an MSW;for many MSW's who are in
organizing
their field placements have provided both experience and a path into
jobs.

Alison Cordero
Deputy Director for Community Preservation
St. Nicholas NPC
11 Catherine St.
Brooklyn NY 11211
(718)388-5454 x 125