query: inclusive zoning organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Feb 6 19:16:09 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Kathy, JRT, Harold and Mary for replying to Shayna's
query.]

From: KathyBTC at aol.com

Policy Link , based in Oakland did a good report on IZ for a coaaition in
DC they are working with who is organizing on this issue. We are using
as we try to improve our policy in Boston.The report goes over IZ- how
it woks, key issues,surveys various policies around the country. You
can download it from their website. www.policylink.org. There is also
alot of info on their toolkit as well. In Boston, MAHA (Mass Affordable
Housing)led this campaign in Boston . (www.mahahome.org). We are
working togther with some other housing advocates too improve
Boston's policy (ie improving depth of affordability, % of units
increasing pay out). Kathy Brown, Boston Tenant Coalition.

***********************

From: jrt at riseup.net

Right now, Just Cause Oakland and Asian Pacific Environmental
Network are campaigning for Inclusionary Housing. In Sf we have one
already.

***********************

From: Harold Simon <hsimon at nhi.org>

Hi Shayna and others,

Here are two recent articles on inclusionary zoning and organizing. You
can search the Shelterforce site for more articles related to the topic.

http://www.nhi.org/online/issues/129/organize.html

http://www.nhi.org/online/issues/131/inclzoning.html

-Harold

[ed:  Mary is partly continuing James' response.]

From: nwbccc at igc.org

FAC's experience - they got run over by a single minded administration
- informs part of a new effort in NYC that may take off -

Organization of the Northeast (ONE) in Chicago did some serious work
on inclusionary zoning - their director's name is Sara Jane Kinoy

- from Mary Dailey, Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition