Where are they now--organizer biographies

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Feb 5 19:35:59 CST 2004

[ed:  thanks to Betty, Doug, and Leah for replying to Steve's idea.
Looks like even more ideas here.  Maybe a working group could form?]

From: "Betty G. Robinson" <bgrobinson at verizon.net>

Hi Randy (and Steve),  For some information on where SNCC and other
civil rights staff members are you can go to the website for Civil Rights
Veterans:    www.crmvet.org.

Betty G. Robinson

**************************

From: DougRHess at aol.com

One way to do this, would be to set up a list of not-too-intrusive
questions and use the "Survey Monkey" website to collect data from
people who are organizers (NOT those who observe, relate to, study,
etc. it). Survey Monkey has some pretty neat features and is affordable,
you can use it for free, or turn it on for one month (for $20 I think) and
then shut if off. See http://www.surveymonkey.com for more. I used this
once for a survey of readers of a news digest project I helped oversee
and it worked very well. It might not tell us much about the field of
organizing due to sampling problems, but still would be a start to seeing
where people are, who trained them, what groups they work for and
how they move around from community to labor to issue to identity
organizing, etc.

Doug Hess
Ph.D. Student,
School of Public Policy & Administration,
George Washington University

Home address:
2114 N St., NW Apt. 23
Washington, DC 20037
202-955-5869
(cell 202-276-4807)

[ed:  I can also host a web survey on COMM-ORG using open source
software, but someone else may have to do the actual survey
construction.]

From: "Rogne, Leah" <leah.rogne at mnsu.edu>

This sounds like a very valuable exercise.

I would like to know where organizers from United Farm Workers-- the
grape and lettuce boycott--are now.  The current generation of young
people, except in California, know very little if anything about Cesar
Chavez and the boycott.  I think it was the greatest school of organizing
I've ever seen.

Leah