query: organizing outcomes

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Feb 2 13:26:10 CST 2004

[ed:  we wrestle with the evaluation question on a regular basis and it is
always worth revisiting.  Please copy COMM-ORG with your responses
to Linda's query.]

From: "Linda Plitt Donaldson" <lp.donaldson at verizon.net>

I am wondering what type of benchmarks people/organizations are
using to measuring outcomes for community organizing.
Organizations/groups that I am working with have expressed a
reluctance to hire an organizer partly because they're not sure how to
demonstrate progress to funders and to Board members who are
dubious about the "concrete" benefits of organizing.

What are people using to measure organizing outcomes, and does
anyone know of any literature written about measuring outcomes in
organizing?

Thanks.

Linda Plitt Donaldson
Catholic University