Grassroots Tech 2004 event, 3/13

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Feb 2 13:14:31 CST 2004

From:           	Spencer Wells <Ohiotenants at earthlink.net>

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Rich C and Liat W" <oc2004 at organizenow.net>
Subject: Save the Date: Grassroots Tech 2004 event, 3/13
To: Spencer Wells <ohiotenants at earthlink.net>

Good Morning!

Below is the announcement for our 5th annual conference
on Grassroots Use of Technology, to take place in Boston
for the first time.  We already have about 30
organizations planning to participate and we expect
to have at least 100 by the time registration closes in
early March.  If you or your organization can use this
information, please forward it to the appropriate people.
Please accept our apologies for crossposting!

Thanks!

Rich Cowan and Liat Wexler
for Organizers' Collaborative

p.s. in addition to the conference announcement, we are
also releasing a new free software program for nonprofits.
It's a tool to make it easier to copy articles from web
sites or other emails and reformat them for resending out
to your consituents. The tool, called eWrapper, even adds
a "fair use" notice: legalese that makes it safer for you
to forward copyrighted material without getting in trouble.

Here are web links.  Conference details follow.
conference:  http://organizenow.net/conference.html
software:    http://organizenow.net/ewrapper

****** CONFERENCE ANNONCEMENT ******

Organizers' Collaborative is holding its fifth annual
conference on "Grassroots Use of Technology" on Saturday,
March 13, on the MIT campus in Cambridge, MA.

This is an affordable community event!  Registration is on
a sliding scale from $20-$35 ($7 student/unemployed). 120
people attended last year and we expect 150 this year.
SPACES MUST BE RESERVED for attendance.  Please register
early, as space is limited. To reserve a space, reply with
the form below or at the CONFERENCE WEB SITE:
http//www.organizenow.net/conference04.html

-Liat Wexler, Organizers' Collaborative

(Apologies for any crossposting!)

P.S. If your organization would like to be listed as a
co-sponsor please let us know and we'll send you a letter
with the sponsorship rates (starting at $75), or see the
sponsorship information at
http//www.organizenow.net/conference/pdf/sponsorinfo.pdf

Sponsorship comes with two admissions and allows us to make
this an affordable annual conference for small nonprofits.

---

You are invited to the fifth annual conference on

G R A S S R O O T S    U S E    O F    T E C H N O L O G Y
Massachusetts Institute of Technology  - Cambridge, MA
Saturday, March 13, 2004  *   900 am - 530 pm

  ******* Co-Hosts *******
  Center for Reflective Community Practice at MIT
  MIT Greens

  ******* Cosponsors *******
  Groundspring.org
  Lelievre Information Services
  More to be announced...

CONFERENCE WEB SITE
http//www.organizenow.net/conference04.html

Featuring
- Technology for Political and Civic Engagement
- Open Source and Free Software for Nonprofits

Program includes Speakers and Workshops on

  * Case Studies on Low Cost Uses of Technology by
    Grassroots Groups
  * Wireless Messaging for Political Campaigns
    (Vishant Shah)
  * Voter Lists and the Civic Engagement Initiative)
    (Bob Lelievre, Lelievre Information Services
  * Mapping with GIS Targeting for Campaigns
    (Lucia Gomez, Latino PAC)
  * Social Capital Forming Citizen Networks
    (David Crowley, Social Capital Inc.)
  * Intro to Blogs, Meetups, Evites and Useful Web Tools
    (Jesse Gordon, DeanVolunteers.org)
  * Maintaining your Mailing Lists
    (Cass Brewer)
  * How to Be an Effective Accidental Techie
    (Tia Sumler, Leadership Coal. for Civil Rights)
  * How can I benefit from a database-backed web site?
    (Caroline Meeks, Aristoi Consulting)
  * And more!

*************** Tentative Agenda ******************

830-915am     Breakfast and Registration
930-1040      Main Plenary and Activist Case Studies
1045-1215     Workshops Session I
1215-115pm    Lunch
120-145       OC Business plenary
145-300       Keynote Speaker with Q&A
315-445       Workshops Session II
445-515       Evaluation and Wrap up
600pm-8        Post-conference Dinner (optional, at restaurant)

Space is limited to 150 participants. $20-35 sliding scale
donation/ $7 student or unemployed.  Please register by March 5
to ensure admission and receive a full program. You may cancel up
to 5 days before the conference. (Note children under 13 may
attend for free, we may also be able to provide day care.) The
event is wheelchair accessible.
**********

REGISTRATION FORM (please fill out and return to us)

___ YES, I'll be attending the conference on March 13, 2004.

   ___Enclosed is a $______ registration donation via check.

   ___I am including my credit card information below.

   ___I am making my registration payment online (type
      "Conference04" in the Optional Comment box) at
      https//secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=519

___ I (or my organization) would like to make an additional
    donation of $____ to subsidize the attendance of low-income
    persons.  (Note if your extra donation is $20 or more, we
    will make you a member of Organizers' Collaborative).

___ I can't attend, but keep me informed.  Enclosed is
    $_______ so that this conference may remain affordable
    to grassroots groups.

Name
Address
Phone
Email
Affiliation/Organization
Vegan/Vegetarian/Allergies
Do you need additional services (childcare, signers, translators
etc.)?

Comments

Credit Card Info (MC/Visa/Amex - circle one) should not be sent
by email

Card Number _______________________________ Exp. Date______

Name, Address, Phone Number associated with Card, if Different

Organizers' Collaborative, P.O. Box 400897, Cambridge, MA  02140
conf2004 at organizenow.net  FAX 617-695-1295   TEL 617-426-1228
x108

*************

DIRECTIONS TO THE CONFERENCE SITE

Plane
MIT is 2.5 miles from Logan International Airport;
taxi and subway service is available.

Train/Bus
Train and bus service arrives at South Station, which is 4
subway stops from Kendall/MIT (just go "inbound"). There are also
Chinatown Buses from NY City which arrive near Chinatown or South
Station MBTA, depending on the service you choose, and there is a
bus from TF Green Airport in Providence 7 times each day
(including 5PM, 6PM, and 8PM). Via MBTA subway system see
http//whereis.mit.edu/map

Commuter Trains Saturday Service see www.mbta.com

Automobile

>From the West, take Mass Pike to the Cambridge Exit, go toward
Cambridge and take a right onto Memorial Drive right after
crossing the river.

>From the South, take I-93 North and go most of the way through
the tunnel (to exit 26).

>From the North, take I-93 to exit 26 (exit 26, Leverett
>Connector
Storrow Drive).  If coming on Route 1 S., there is a new exit
right off of the Tobin Bridge in both cases, you want "Storrow
Drive West." Go 1.5 miles and take the left exit, "Route 2A -
Back Bay" (after the Copley exit). At the end of the ramp take a
right to go over the bridge to Cambridge, and when you reach the
end, MIT is on the right.  Information on MIT lot parking to be
posted.

A Campus Map is available at
http//whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?selection=4&Buildings=go

Lodging within walking distance

  * MIT Hotel, www.mithotel.com (~ $135, 617-577-0200).

Lodging at union hotels

  * Radisson (617-482-1800) $105 if booked in advance, 3 subway
  stops from MIT. * Holiday Inn at Logan Airport (617-569-5250)
  $85, not near MIT. * More Options at Boston Area Union Hotel
  Page
    http//www.bostonhotelunion.org/index.php3?web=about&page=shop

--
Spencer Wells