Job: lead organizer, Milwaukee

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Feb 2 13:09:19 CST 2004

From:           "Robert Connolly" <rconnolly1 at wi.rr.com>

                             MICAH LEAD COMMUNITY ORGANIZER
                             OPENING

POSITION

MICAH is a Milwaukee faith based community organization.  It is
an alliance of 30 some congregations with diverse religious,
racial and ethnic characteristics.  Its mission is to organize
its members and others to address pressing social needs such as
housing, crime, health care, jobs, etc.  Its purpose is
non-partisan political power shaped in a democratic fashion which
positions MICAH to be in the forefront of making significant
change for social justice.  We are part of an organizing
tradition begun in the 1940's by the late Saul Alinsky.  We are
seeking a lead community organizer to staff MICAH.
Responsibilities include: -         Building relationships with
Pastors and lay leaders from member and potential new member
congregations. -         Partnering with and being accountable to
the MICAH Executive Committee and its Board of Directors -
 Supervising a staff of two people -         Raising an annual
budget of $230,000 -         Training members in the art of
leadership development and political strategy -         Assisting
leaders in issue identification, power analysis research, and
strategy development involving a wide range of political tactics
-         Liaison with allies such as WISDOM, unions,
neighborhood organizations and others. -         Salary in the 40
K range.

QUALIFICATIONS

We are looking for a person with as many of these qualifications
as possible:

-         Life experience in an organizing related field
-         Political experience and/or activity
-         Strong faith tradition and understanding of
congregations -         Leadership abilities and an
entrepreneurial spirit -         College education or equivalent
life experience -         Social justice understanding,
commitment and/or experience -         Racial ethnic
understanding, sensitivity and experience -         Native
intelligence, creativity and talent

Send resume to:  Pastor Volina Cross-Dukes   Christ Presbyterian
Church

1930 W Walnut Street   Milwaukee, WI 53209
 vcrossdukes at ameritech.net