query: leaders to organizers

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Sep 29 20:08:57 CDT 2003

[ed:  Ann contributes to the discussion in this message.]

From: Ann and Timothy Curry-Stevens <echobay at sympatico.ca>

I am concerned about this implicit criticism of organizers that is
imbedded in some of the messages. It seems that the leader is
given priority for bringing followers with them, whereas the
organizer is somewhat less valued since they do not. My reading of
the emails on this issue is from a feminist perspective, sensitive to
the power dynamics that underlie the different valuing of these
activities, as well as lengthy history of social movement practice
that has unravelled due to organizational inabilities to hold its
"leaders" accountable, since they have held the higher profile
activists in higher esteem and made such significant
accommodations for them that the rest of the groups have become
despirited and disengaged.

I have two contributions to make:

1. I have found it valuable to use the concept of "functional
leadership" that sees the full range of organizing activity as
requiring a large range of skilled people... those who can inspire
people to be concerned about specific issues and those who can
manage the full range of activities and recruit people to fulfill these
functions. Many successful social movements have not had visible
"leaders" but have forwarded the information about the issue and it
is that message/visual that has inspired people to join and support.
Such is true of most environmental advocacy, labour standards
advocacy, and gay/lesbian advocacy. Please note that I am
speaking from the Canadian context.

Let's look at what the traditional leader does, by function. They call
attention to problems, help bring an issue to public attention, help
people build their analysis, articulate alternatives, inspire hope and
confidence in the ability to create change are important to social
movement struggles. It is unlikely that one person is able to
adequately fulfill all of those functions. These functions may need
to be fulfilled by any combination of people and of communications
resources. There may be social movements that have found one
person to fulfill these functions, but that would be rare, and would
actually leave the movement vulnerable, since too much would
seem to be invested in one person.

2. I have also found it useful to consider that many successful
organizers actually "lead" by way of following the group members.
This is the way of popular educators (of which I am one) that
interprets the interests and priorities of their community and assists
them to manifest and pressure for change. This organizational
strategy comes out of a lengthy history of effective organizing,
especially in Latin America. It is also possible for leaders to
position themselves within a network of invested groups, and thus
"lead" through networking. In this sense, they are a catalyst for
change and the advocacy effort seems "leader-less."

Just some more evocative thoughts for our collective
understanding.

Ann Curry-Stevens, Echo Bay Centre
(and Ph.D. candidate in Adult Education)