query: leaders to organizers

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Sep 22 19:49:53 CDT 2003

[ed:  Bill also offers some thoughts on the definitions of leader and
organizer.]

From: "Bill Schlesinger" <pvida at sbcglobal.net>

On another level, the organizer role is 'facilitator' of a process.  The
leader's role is to speak for the organization publicly, to champion
the content from the community, and to use their links and ties
within the community to validate the issue(s).  The organizer keeps
an eye on who's in, who's out, what messages from the community
are being heard/not heard.  The organizer brings an outside
perspective into the process, which can be replaced by another
person with a similar skillset.  The leader's role is harder to replace,
and is more of an internally validated position.

That said, a leader who wishes to become an organizer should
probably develop those skills, but take them to another community.