query: leaders to organizers

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Sep 21 19:06:23 CDT 2003

[ed:  Doug contributes some definitional and other thoughts to the
discussion.]

From: DougRHess at aol.com

One problem with the leader/organizer discussion, is that one
person's talented and dedicated leader (or secondary leader) is
another's volunteer organizer. In anycase...When it comes to
members being paid organizers, there is also the issue of
leadership within the organizing staff. Residents of a community,
geographically defined or not, have a particular problem is being
their community's main/lead organizers: self interest. Not self
interest as in "we want better schools for our kids" but self interest
as in "I want ..."  I'm sure many of us have seen this turn into
political careerism, etc. Of course, that problem isn't limited to
local-residents-cum-staff. But I've seen some version of this occur
in gay/lesbian organizing and n'hood organizing. I guess there is
finally something positive to be said for turnover in staffing!