query: school organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Sep 19 19:50:56 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to Deb for responding to Nilofer's query.]

From: "Deb Marois" <deb at connectccp.org>

One example you might investigate is California's statewide school
readiness campaign.
The effort is funded by tobacco tax revenues. There is a statewide
commission that spearheads various strategies related to school
readiness, though each county implements these differently. Some
areas have made a great effort to engage parents, faith
communities, home-based child care, businesses and other sectors
in the planning and implementation of school readiness programs.
Many communities are forging new links between child care
providers, preschools and kindergardens in order to ensure kids
enter school ready to learn.

The CA State Commission (now called First 5 California) website is
http://www.ccfc.ca.gov/default.htm
UCLA's Center for Healthier Children, Families and Communities
provides technical assistance on school readiness with many
resources on the website at
http://www.healthychild.ucla.edu/programs/readiness/

The organization I work with, Center for Collaborative Planning,
produced a guidebook for folks trying to collaboratively plan school
readiness efforts with the community. The guidebook is on the
UCLA website referenced above at
http://www.healthychild.ucla.edu/programs/readiness/materials/coll
aboration/CollaborationGuidebook.pdf

Hope this is helpful.

Deb Marois
Center for Collaborative Planning
1401 21st St., 4th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone:  916-498-8304
Fax:  916-443-7767
Web:  www.connectccp.org <http://www.connectccp.org>

"Holding each other close across differences, beyond conflict,
through change, is an act of resistance." ~ bell hooks

Join us for our Leadership in a Multicultural Society Retreat -
October 23rd and 24th - at our home in Sacramento.
The retreat is an excellent opportunity to reflect, build relationships,
and re-energize. Please consider joining us and tell your friends
and colleagues. E-mail info at connectccp.org
<mailto:info at connectccp.org>  or call us at 916-498-6960 for more
info.