query: school organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Sep 17 21:17:25 CDT 2003

[ed:  Nilofer clarifies the original query.]

From: "Nilofer Ahsan" <Nilofer.Ahsan at cssp.org>

I feel the need to clarify.  My question was not about school
organizing but about parent organizing around school readiness
issues.  Because the early care and education field doesn't have a
strong infrastructure--as school-age education does--and because
pre-school or school-readiness is not considered a right--as school
age education is--it is my assumption that it is a harder area to
organize around.  I'm looking for examples of folks that have
organized community-wide (or perhaps even state-wide) school-
readiness campaigns.  What organizational infrastructure did they
use (schools, child care programs, religious organizations)?  How
was the campaign structured?  What gains were made?

Nilofer