query: leaders to organizers

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Sep 16 15:48:15 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to John and Brad for engaging us in discussion on this query.]

From: "David Chavis" <dchavis at capablecommunity.com>

I don't know about the literature, but it has been one of the biggest
mistakes organizations and foundations make. It's a good way to undermine an
organizing effort, take away a leader and make an ineffective organizer. I
have never seen anyone successfully make the transition within their
community. I have seen this mistake made many times, because a lot of well
intended foundations and community based organizations don't know enough to
know the differences and consequences.

David

From: "Brad Fields" <bradfields at comcast.net>

Why not look at the question the other way around?  That is, community
organizing is the only arena of organizing (or social movement building)
that I know of that makes the distinction between organizers and
leaders.  Look at labor organizing, feminist organizing, civil rights
organizing, etc., etc.
Brad Fields