query: school organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Sep 12 19:01:16 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to Kathy, Nacho, and Richard for replies to Nilofer's
query. And apoplogies to Kate for not remembering the very
interesting story of working with the IAF in her co-authored 2002
COMM-ORG paper, and to Mark, for not mentioning Dry Bones
Rattling, one of my favorite books.]

From: "Staudt, Kathleen" <kstaudt at utep.edu>

The Texas Industrial Areas Foundation is VERY active in its
Alliance Schools Program. Local faith-based, Alinsky-type
organizations leaders and organizers can point to concrete
accomplishments in Dallas/Ft Worth, San Antonio, South Texas,
Houston, Austin and El Paso with organizations like the El Paso
Interreligious Sponsoring Organization (EPISO).  Parents and
parent leaders engage with school leaders and teachers over
preparing students in pathways to college.  Check several books:
Dennis Shirley, COMMUNITY ORGANIZING FOR URBAN
SCHOOL REFORM and Mark Warren, DRY BONES RATTLING
The Comm-Org web site also posted a paper on El Paso in which
we deal with this topic, bringing in a university partner as active in
alliances.

Cheers,
Kathy
Kathleen Staudt, PhD
Director, Center for Civic Engagement
Professor of Political Science
University of Texas at El Paso
El Paso, TX  79968
915-747-7975
FAX 915-747-5400

From: Nacho Gonzalez <nacho at uic.edu>

Hi,

Yes, the Tepochcalli Community Education Project (TCEP) in
Chicago is using popular education as a way of involving parents in
the school and the community. They do not have a web site that I
know of but can get you touch with one of their organizers. They
are mostly Spanish speaking but some of the staff are bi-lingual.

Nacho at uic.edu