critique of Texas faith-based initiative

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Sep 11 20:44:00 CDT 2003

[ed: Doug and Catherine continue the conversation.  As the thread
now has some momentum, and is getting a little long, I will stop
including previous messages.]

From: DougRHess at aol.com

One other thought on funding "churches" is that by providing them
with some money you pull them into the lobbying process. Ie, they
begin to demand more money, or at least not a cut in their money.
More optimistically, some may began to take a more public interest
in social justice that progressive networks can take advantage of.
IE, this may not be a bad thing. Many "grasstops" leaders
can be developed this way.

*********************

From: Catherine Mobley <camoble at CLEMSON.EDU>

Hello,

Some of you may already be aware of this research presentation
on the Indiana University presentation on the implementation of
Charitable Choice programs.  see below for details!

Catherine Mobley
Department of Sociology
Clemson University
Clemson, SC

>Date:         Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:57:49 -0400
>Sender: APPAM-L <APPAM-L at POST.QUEENSU.CA>
>From: Robert Burge <burger at post.queensu.ca>
>To: APPAM-L at POST.QUEENSU.CA
>
>From: "Thelin, Rachel E" <rthelin at iupui.edu>
>
>On November 5th, in Washington, D.C., a research team from
Indiana
>Universityb
Purdue University Indianapolis will unveil the final results
>of a three-year study evaluating several aspects of Charitable
Choice
>implementation in three states. The research looks at the
comparative
>effectiveness of faith-based and secular programs, reports "on the
ground"
>constitutional issues, and considers the effects on providers new
to the
>contracting system and their clients. Scholars and practitioners
>interested in attending are welcome, and there is no cost;
however, space
>is limited.
>
>Details are provided below.
>
>Sheila Suess Kennedy
>Associate Professor
>School of Public and Environmental Affairs
>Indiana Universityb
Purdue University Indianapolis
>801 W. Michigan Street #4061
>Indianapolis, IN 46202
>(317)274-2895
>shekenne at iupui.edu
>www.sheilakennedy.net
>

>Charitable Choice Research Conference Scheduled
>
>The final results of Faith-Based Social Service Provision Under
Charitable
>Choice: A Study of Implementation in Three States will be
released at a
>conference in Washington, D.C. on November 5, 2003.  The
Conference is
>free, and open to scholars, practitioners and media. Due to space
>limitations, attendance will be limited to the first 100 who respond.
>
>This research b

Purdue
>University Indianapolis with the generous support of the Ford
Foundation.
>It integrates findings from three states, Indiana, North Carolina,
and
>Massachusetts, and includes data about state agencies, clients,
and
>providers, comparisons of outcomes, and evaluations of
administrative and
>constitutional issues posed by Federal charitable choice
legislation.
>Interim project findings, issued in June 2003, may be accessed
online at
>http://ccr.urbancenter.iupui.edu/ The November conference in
Washington
>will supplement and expand upon the Interim Report, and will
include
>previously unreported results.
>
>The Conference will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the
Washington
>Court Hotel, 525 New Jersey Avenue, N.W, Washington, D.C.
The hotel is
>holding a block of rooms for Conference attendees, and those
planning to
>attend who need accommodations should contact the hotel
directly no later
>than October 5.  For hotel reservations, please call 202-628-2100
or
>toll-free at 800-321-3010
>
>For conference reservations and further information, contact
Rachel Thelin