critique of Texas faith-based initiative

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Sep 9 21:03:19 CDT 2003

[ed:  Michael adds another perspective to the discussion.]

From: Michael Givel <mgivel at earthlink.net>

I have to disagree with the notion that there is *no* connection
between faith-based community organizing and social services.
Houses of worship have historically been involved in both
independent community organizing *and* the provision of social
services.

Many scholars agree that there would have not been an effective
Civil Rights movement without the independent involvement of
African American churches. Now what would have happened to
such a movement if African-American churches, say in Missisippi,
were the recipients of significant government social service grant
dollars from Mississippi?  The potential for political co-optation or
at a minimum political retribution would have been very real.

Since 1996, the funding of houses of worship was championed in
the so called federal welfare reform bill.  It is now being advocated
on a much larger scale.  This raises the serious question of how
much political independence houses of worship will have in
independent political community organizing.

The late Saul Alinsky was strongly opposed to the funding of
community organizing by government. Yet, that is what happened
during the War on Poverty in the 1960s and many now argue
(myself included) that government funded Community Action
Agencies, starting in 1967, were considerably toned down politically
due to a reaction of affected powerful interests.

Moreover, government funding and grants for community
organizing and community education sometimes or even frequently
occurs with the provision of social services. This could occur, for
example, through such programs as community education of
substance abuse, Ameri-Corps/VISTA efforts, community outreach
for weatherization, etc. It could also occur with requirements of
grants for community participation in programs through such
avenues as advisory boards.

Now, of course, there are many community organizing efforts that
are independent of such social service grants.

Nevertheless, will the warning of the Texas experience possibly
play a role in these above sorts of activities? I think the possibility
is high.