critique of Texas faith-based initiative

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Sep 8 20:28:37 CDT 2003

[ed:  Rob adds to the distinguishing faith-based community
organizing from the Bush faith-based social service model.]

From: Rob Kleidman <r.kleidman at csuohio.edu>

Rich Wood is right. There's no real connection between faith-
based organizing and Bush's faith-based initiatives, except the
obvious ones of terminology and some connection to organized
religion. But to avoid confusion between the two, I've started calling
the former "congregation-based organizing." As Rich and others
have written, there are also other terms in use, such as IAF's
preferred "broad-based organizing".

Rob Kleidman