query: health organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Sep 7 21:34:59 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to Betty for responding to Fred's query.]

From: "Betty G. Robinson" <bgrobins at erols.com>

Making Policy, Making Change, How Communities Are Taking the Law into
Their Own Hands is a 1999 book by Makani Themba.  In the health area it
details several struggles in people of color communities: one battle in
LA after the riots which followed the beating of Rodney King.  Here the
community came together successfully to reduce the number of liquor
licenses in the areas to be rebuilt; the other case is that of a
campaign in Baltimore to rid neighborhoods (mostly African American) of
alcohol and tobacco ads.  While not directly addressing health
disparities these are examples of campaigns which resonated generally in
the communities and because they dealt with the marketing of substances
with a potential for abuse they often made the connection to health
disparites.

Betty Robinson
Baltimore