discussion: the relevance of 1960s thinking

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Sep 1 08:25:26 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to Peter for responding to Larry's thoughts.]

From: "Dr. Peter Cox" <peter.cox at chester.ac.uk>

I hope this will add to the discussion

There is certainly much substance in this approach. I get the feeling that
each generation responds to its own perception of 'crisis' by rejection of
the previous dominant approach - "which obviously hasn't worked -
otherwise we wouldn't be in this mess" etc - and reinventing responses
keyed to its perception of the changed externalities and prevailing
circumstances. However, the degree to which social and individual
relationships, as opposed to economic or political relationships change
over time is a largely unexplored variable.

My instinctual response is that too often we forget that people are people,
above all else, human beings with loves, fears, frustrations and day to
day relationships to deal with whether neighbourhood, parenting,
friendships etc etc. These factors may be far less mutable over time than
those dependent on externalities: they do relate to them but not in an
immediate manner.

Hence the revisiting and rediscovery of previous strategies for both
survival and change, particularly those strategies that are people-based,
remain strikingly relevant. This should not just be seen to relate to
1960's thinking - it may be appropriate to apply it across bigger time-
frames or geographical distaces as well. Certainly, the adoption of
insights from Gandhian organising practice, in numerous different
contexts and applied to widely differing problems, may be seen as an
example of this.

I hope this is a useful contribution

Peter Cox
Programme Leader in Community Studies
Department of Social and Communication Studies
University College Chester
peter.cox at chester.ac.uk