query: CO case studies

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Jun 24 19:35:15 CDT 2003

[ed:  Steve is replying to Heidi's May 19 query, reprinted below.]

Hello,

This a late reply to an inquiry on May 19 by Ms. Swarts regarding
case studies on "social movements, social movement
organizations, and community organizing."

I'm not familiar with the most current studies, and I'm much more
familiar with historical studies and documentary collections on
American radicalism and contemporary radical theory, but I have a
book published 10 years that appears to be relevant to your inquiry.

In fact, you might be familiar with it: vol. 41 of the the Urban Affairs
Annual Review, it's edited by Robert Fisher & Joseph Kling, entitled
'Mobilizing The Community: Local Politics in the Era of the Global
City' published by Sage Publications in 1993, with 334pgs, 13+
articles. ISBN 0-8039-4248-6 (paper) or 0-8039-4247-8 (cloth).

Of course, there's a wealth of more historically-oriented materials.
To take another older but useful example, there's 'The Origins of
the Civil Rights Movement: Black Communities Organizing for
Change' published in 1984 by Aldon Morris, a sociologist.

I suppose these sources are several years old because I tend to
believe that the most relevant recent work regarding social
movements and social change is being performed by contemporary
social theorists who are rethinking the very notions of "society" and
"community" (Hardt, Negri, Laclau & Mouffe, Butler, Nancy,
Blanchot, Haver,  Agamben, Golding, et al).

Steve K.
Portland, Oregon