organizing and social movements

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jun 22 18:41:54 CDT 2003

[ed:  Doug continues the discussion on community organizing and
social movements.]

From: "Doug Hess" <DHess at frac.org>

On social movements and organizing, I think what's defined as a
movement is very essential to making headway in the argument.
What isn't a movement is hard to define, even though most people
would agree on some things right away as movements. To me,
movements generally come about from some agents' behavior that
has some features of organizing and their work suddenly, perhaps
beyond reasonable expectations, catches on due to social forces
beyond the organizers' control. In otherwords, similar efforts before,
and maybe after, a certain "zietgeist" may not produce the any
"movement." For instance, is it fair to say there is a "living wage"
movement?