gentrification and intergroup tensions

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jun 22 18:38:55 CDT 2003

[ed:  Doug responds with some thoughts on the issue of
gentrification.]

From: "Doug Hess" <DHess at frac.org>

I wish could have seen this POV documentary. From what Randy
said, it sounds like there could have been an easy answer to some
of this by setting up interviews with people who fit in both of the
groups isolated for the filming. Perhaps they tried and it didn't work.
I think in Dupont Circle, where I live and work, which was an
extremely run down neighborhood until the gay community began
to "move in" in the 1970-80s, it would be interesting to see if the
first homesteaders of the gentrification movement were even
"gentry" themselves. Likely, many of them were also low-income
renters who moved on to be home buyers (decades before homes
in Dupont skyrocketed to over $400,000 and well beyond). No
doubt some peole who would fit that profile now aren't able to move
here either.

Another thought: one friend's grandmother, who was never any
where near wealthy, owns a house in Mt. Pleasant, DC, which has
had its up and downs for decades. She owns it outright, and due to
the gentrification around her, she is now sitting on a goldmine that
will protect her well into old age, and/or could produce a nice
grubsteak for her grandchildren. Isn't this what we want?