organizing and social movements

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sat Jun 21 10:02:51 CDT 2003

[ed:  Rob is responding to Doug's May 23 post.  A bit from me
below.]

From:    r.kleidman at csuohio.edu

A belated response to a discussion about organizing and social
movements. Robert Fisher, in Let the People Decide, says that
local organizing can exist without a movement but will not thrive for
long; when a movement develops, however, CO often rides the
wave. I'm not sure I agree completely, but I do think there can be
complementary relationships. I think organizing benefits from
movement activism in many ways. I also think organizing can
establish a basis for the emergence of movement activism. Some
organizers remain dismissive of movements, but I think that is a
mistake. I don't know of any systematic research on community
organizing and social movements, however.

The message to which I am responding was posted by Doug Hess
on May 23. Doug said:

How are community organizers and social movements related? Is
there value in comparing them? I tend to think they are not so
much related. Granted, there are people behind social movements
using some co tools, but I think of them more as activists. Of
course, occaisionally a network of organizers might ride the wave
of a social movement to win somethings worthwile or garner more
organization, but I generally don't see organizing as social
movement work as many analyst do. To do so, I think, leads to the
oh-so-common complaint from academics that co lacks umph
because it doesn't measure up to the labor movement victories
around the new deal, etc. Besides which "social movement" does
organizing belong to?

-----------------------
Rob Kleidman
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology
Rhodes Tower 1725
Cleveland State University
Cleveland OH 44114
(216)687-9203; Fax: (216)687-9314
e-mail: r.kleidman at csuohio.edu

*************************

[ed:  I am glad that Rob is engaging us in this discussion.  To me,
this is an important practical question.  So many of us worry that
the victories of community organizing are too few and too small,
and we cannot resist comparing the small wins of community
organizing to the big wins of the past labor and civil rights
movements.  But I think it is interesting that those movements in
particular, which produced the biggest victories of recent social
movements, also look the most like community organizing.  Other
less successful national movements, such as the women's
movement, were much less local in their approach.  In many ways,
I see the civil rights movement as the textbook example of using
local community organizing to win national level victories.  Think of
the Montgomery bus boycott--this was a local action organized by
local groups, and it produced a tidal wave of desegregation.

Most interesting, the critiques against the global justice movement
focus on its lack of community organizing.  The critics charge
activists with showing up for the demonstrations and then leaving
when the action is over, without attempting to build local
organizations that can take on global justice issues.  I worry that
the lack of community organizing in the global justice movement
will doom it to failure.

So, from my reading of history, the most successful social
movements are the ones that take a community organizing
approach to broad-scale change.  I see community organizing as a
method of movement-building, in contrast to the activist approach
that Rob cites as typical of movement-building.  The community
organizing approach is about building local organizations that can
take on a broad set of issues defined by the people in the
organization.  The activist approach is about taking on a single
issue defined by the activist.  There are times when these
approaches combine, however, such as in the campaign to win the
Community Reinvestment Act.  National People's Action approach
to the struggle for CRA was to build a coalition of local
organizations, who were already struggling against disinvestment
and its accompanying redlining, and focus them on a national
movement.

I think our chances for success will be enhanced if we once again
combine community organizing approaches with social movement
level action.]