gentrification and intergroup tensions

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jun 20 17:46:13 CDT 2003

[ed: this is an important film--a bit from me below.]

 From: Miriam Axel-Lute <miriam at nhi.org>

Gentrification... With a Twist

It's a familiar story, at least on the surface: A neighborhood in
decline is "discovered" by people with money, who snap up
beautiful but run-down houses for a song, driving up prices and
displacing longtime residents of lesser means. But what happens
when the residents are working-class African-Americans - and the
gentrifiers are themselves an oppressed minority - for instance, the
gay community?

"Flag Wars," is a documentary by Linda Goode Bryant and Laura
Poitras that attempts to explore these tensions in the Olde Towne
section of Columbus, OH. In June PBS will broadcast the film as
part of the P.O.V. Diverse Voices Project (check your local listings
or www.pbs.org/pov), but it has already elicited a strong reaction in
Columbus, where "Flag Wars" had its premiere in March. Some
residents feel their neighbors and neighborhood were maligned.

Weeks before the film aired, P.O.V invited Shelterforce Editor
Harold Simon to moderate an online discussion about gentrification
and intergroup tension in general, "Beyond Gentrification:
Strategies for Community Change." You can read excerpts at
Shelterforce Online (www.nhi.org/online/issues/129/POV.html) or
view the full discussion (and post your own comments) at
www.pbs.org/pov/pov2003/flagwars/special_roundtable.html.

Participants in the roundtable were: Mtamanika Youngblood, senior
vice president for community impact at United Way of Metro-
politan Atlanta and former executive director of the Historic District
Development Corp. in Atlanta; Radhika Fox, associate, PolicyLink,
Washington, DC; Brad Lander, executive director, Fifth Avenue
Committee, Brooklyn, NY; Theresa Singleton, research and
information director, Housing Assistance Council, Washington, DC;
Joe Molinaro, manager, Smart Growth Programs of the National
Association of Realtors., Washington, DC; Jill Slater, planner, San
Francisco Planning Department.

[ed:  this film was on our local PBS station this past Tuesday.  To
me, it is a horribly depressing example of the invisibility of class
privilege and how it deepens the divide between groups when
combined with other kinds of oppressions.  The gay community in
particular, with its advantaged class position, does not look good in
this film.  Sadly, however, I can imagine my students attributing
their lack of sensitivity to being gay rather than being middle class.
I hope others get a chance to view the film and we all get a chance
to discuss it.]